breathe || 3:17

now playing:

BREATHE
by : madelyn peters and haley james-scott

↺ |◁ II ▷| ♡

I see your face in my mind as I drive away
'Cause none of us thought it was gonna end that way
People are people and sometimes we change our minds
But it's killing me to see you go after all this time

Everyone was dressed in black, looking over the coffin as the preacher spoke. Karen, Lucas, Dan, and Nathan stood in the front row. Lucas's hand was reached behind him clutching Madelyn's for dear life. Slowly Lucas's fingers slipped from her's as he stepped forward to sprinkle his dirt above Keith's coffin. But when he stepped back in place, he reached his hand back once more until she placed hers in his.

Slowly, everyone left until it was just Karen, Lucas, and Madelyn. Madelyn pressed a kiss to his cheek and slid her hand from his, gently running a hand down Karen's arm as she left them to each other for their own moment. She made her way toward the car, slowly manuvering her crutches around the grave yard.

Music starts playing like the end of a sad movie
It's the kinda ending you don't really wanna see

._._._.

'Cause it's tragedy and it'll only bring you down

Madelyn was making small talk in Karen's home, filled with people paying their respects to Keith.

She heard Lucas's voice above the low chatter.

"Jimmy Edwards killed my uncle. Do not talk about him, not in my mother's house."

"Will you excuse me?" Madelyn stepped away from the random person she was speaking with, trying to make her way to him.

Now I don't know what to be without you around

._._._.

And we know it's never simple,
Never easy

It was their first day back at school since the incident.

A voice rang from the intercom.

"Welcome back, students. Today as we return to our school, with heavy hearts, you will note some changes. At the entrance to our schools, you will see metal detectors. They are here for your safety. You will see an armed police presence on campus. They are here for your wellbeing..."

Once inside the school Lucas laid eyes on the memorial items laid out for Jimmy at his locker.

"We can try to make the school safer. We can try to protect you. But there are few precautions that we can take to protect your hearts."

"Hey," Madelyn crutched her way to him, bumping his shoulder with her's. 

"Hey," he responded after a moment. She noticed what he was staring at. 

"Let's just go to class, okay? Come on," she started moving.

"Give me one second," Lucas stopped her.