secondhand smoke || 1:7

now playing:

SECONDHAND SMOKE
by : madelyn peters

| II |

Sometimes you could hear a pin drop,
Or the ticking of the clock,
Between the surface conversation,

No matter what they were saying,
They never talked

"So," Madelyn sat down across from Lucas at a table. "We going to that annual Scott money burn or what?" 

"Yeah, right," Lucas laughed, "Like I'm gonna spend the night with Nathan and Dan on my Friday off? I don't think so. I'd rather stay home with The Great Gatsby."

"You know, I read this new book last night," Madelyn leaned forward onto her elbows.

"Really?" 

"Yeah it's about this guy and this girl. And she just bought a new dress that she wants to show off. And she finally has the occasion to do so but he won't go to the crazy party at his evil dad's house to see the magical dress and all it's powers and he'll never know what it looked like because he didn't go," she smirked. Lucas looked down at his book, breathily laughing. She stood from her seat without another word and walked away.

Sometimes I would hear 'em screaming,
When they thought that I was sleeping,
They'd just fight about whatever,
I don't know if they ever had a reason

._._._.

Am I the product of a problem,
That I couldn't change?
Got his eyes, got her hair,
So do I get their mistakes

Madelyn walked up the Scott's front porch in her little black dress and gold heels with her parents trailing behind her silently.

She heard what sounded like bad bird noises behind her before someone called her name.

"Hey Peters!" she spun around and her eyes landed on Lucas with his mom and Uncle Keith.

She smiled, "Luke, you showed." She hopped back down the couple steps and over to him, quickly wrapping her arms around his neck. He hugged her back, wrapping his arms around her waist and slightly lifting her, making her kick her legs back and laugh. 

"I had to see what's so magical about this dress you're so excited about," he replied. 

"Well," she spun in a circle showing off the dress, "it's completely adorable and it has pockets," She swiftly slid her hands into the empty pockets just to prove it to him. He smiled at her as she excitedly showed off her dress.

"Wow that really is a magical dress," his mom commented. 

"Right," Lucas turned around. "Mom, Keith, this is Madelyn Peters. Mads, this is my mom, Karen, and my Uncle Keith." 

"Good to meet you," Madelyn smiled, shaking their hands. Someone cleared their throat behind her. "Um," Madelyn grew quiet, "These are my parents, Tom and Jennifer. Mom, Dad, this is Lucas Scott and his family."

"Nice to meet you sir, ma'am," Lucas shook their hands.

The front door swung open and Dan stepped out. The rest of the group grew more reserved.

"Come on in," Dan opened his hands toward the inside of the house.

I know that you can't walk across a bridge that's already burned,
So, what am I supposed to do? I can't help that,
They chose to breath it in but I don't wanna choke,
On that secondhand smoke

._._._.

Sometimes I hear myself saying,
Hand-me-down words,
It's so easy to forget.
That he ain't him,
And I ain't her,
And when I think that fighting has to end in a goodbye,
I wanna prove me wrong, but I'm scared I'll prove me right

Lucas made his way toward the front of the house when he heard voices.

"God, you guys! Could you just stop fighting and give it a rest?! Just for one night?! We're supposed to be enjoying the party!" Madelyn cried. He saw her as she stormed out of the room.

"Woah," he grabbed Madelyn's elbow and pulled her with him into the closest room, a bathroom. "What's going on?" he took note of the tears in her eyes.

"My parents- god! They can't ever take a break with the yelling!" she swung her hands into the air. "I just wanted one night to have fun. One night to be a family again but they can't do that. They won't even try," she cried. He pulled her into his arms, holding the back of her head close to him. He softly brushed his fingers through her hair. 

She soon pulled back and looked at him once her sobs stopped. 

"Luke, I'm sorry about your jacket, it has mascara all over it," she tugged on the coat.

"Mads, it's fine," he took her face in his hands and forced her too look up at him. Before her eyes landed on his blue ones, she took notice of a red smudge on his cheek.

She clicked her tounge and brought her thumb up to wipe it away, "You got Brooked," she stated.

"Thanks," he spoke softly. 

The door swung open and the two spun around.

"Woah, sorry. Didn't know anyone was in here," a visibly drunk and stumbling Brooke said. 

"It's fine," Madelyn wiped the tear stains away. "I should go."

"Madelyn-" Lucas tried to stop her.

"Thanks Lucas. I- I'll see you later," she put her hand up to stop him and rushed off.

Will I be better? Fine forever,
Be the one to shake the habit,
Break away frome broken things,
And rise above the ashes?

the song : secondhand smoke by kelsea ballerini