boy x || 1:16

now playing:

BOY X
by : madelyn peters

↺ |◁ II ▷| ♡

There was a girl, with the toughest of skin
She made sure that everyone around knew that she wasn't sensitive,
She walked around, let nobody in,
Thought if she never gave her heart away it'd never end up broken

Madelyn watched at school as Brooke walked past her with anger in her eyes. She looked at Peyton who looked torn between the two friends. Madelyn shook her head and nodded at her to go to Brooke.

She looked up and made eye contact with Lucas across the yard.

But boy x across the street oh he was one of a kind,
Made her fall in love with only just a look in her eyes,
When they wandered off to someone else's for the first time,
She cried and cried and cried

Lucas was walking toward the gym after his argument with Brooke in the hall when he heard quiet singing.

"Next time you move on, like I know you'll do,
Tell me that you won't treat her like you did with me and you,
When she falls hard, and a little too soon,
Promise you won't promise things you know just won't come true,
" the singing grew louder as he got closer. He saw Madelyn standing at her locker, singing, while she placed some books in her bag. When the locker closed, he quickly backed up, hiding behind the corner and waited until she disapeared into the gym for cheer practice. 

And don't you dare make her feel like she's the only thing your seeing,
No, don't do that stupid thing with your eyes unless you mean it,
When you get bored, like you always do,
Tell me that you'll let her go before you look for someone new

The door out of the gym slammed open and Brooke walked out. Very soon after, it slammed open again, this time with Madelyn exiting.

"Brooke! Sooner or later you're gonna have to talk to me!" Madelyn called out. 

Brooke spun around. "Why don't I just smile at you, you know, Madelyn-style. Pretend everything's okay and lie to your face," Brooke smiled sarcastically.

"If I could go back to the way things were, I would," Madelyn said. 

"Back to when my best friend was cheating with my boyfriend and I was too stupid to realize it?"

"You're not stupid!" 

"Did you sleep with him?"

"No! No I didn't, okay? It was just a kiss," Madelyn explained.

"God, Brooke, I'm sorry, okay? We were gonna tell you, and then the accident happened and you liked him so much, and I just-"

"Thought you'd spare me the heartache."

"Yeah."

"Yeah, well that worked out really well, didn't it?" Brooke stormed off.

"Brooke!"

"Are you in love with him?" she spun back around.

Madelyn fell silent.

"You know what, I don't even care. He's all yours now, have a great life together."

Yeah this very girl,
Brown eyes and blonde ends,
No, she never wasted time but time with him just felt so different,

._._._.

She wrote him songs, just to watch him listening,
A hundred songs a couple months in,
No, she never saw it coming

Madelyn found herself drinking a beer with Brooke after they went looking for Lucas at a bar. He moved on pretty quickly. Just like Brooke expected. But it left a pang in Maddie's chest and she was drinking her sorrows away. 

Next time boy x, he crossed the street she'll never see him again,
She really thought he was forever then forever was dead

._._._.

Left her holding up the pieces of her heart by a thread,
He left her there to die

Madelyn sat on her porch, strumming, trying to adjust her song.

"Next time you move on, like I know you'll do-"

"Hey," Lucas spoke, grabbing her attention from where he stood on the sidewalk. She played a broken chord in start.

"What are you doing here?" she said shortly, writing in her song book.

"I wanted to see you," he leaned on the railing of her porch. "You writing a new song?"

"Yep," she thinned her lips.

"How's it go?"

"Why do you care? You've already moved on from the singer to the skank," she said, agressively jabbing her pencil to the paper.

"Madelyn-" Lucas tried.

"You know I thought you had enough feelings for me that it would take you longer than a day to get over me. But hey maybe I shouldn't be surprised, you got over Brooke while you were still with her," Madelyn glared at him.

"Mads-"

"Here, you forgot this," she threw his sling at him, "And here's this, because you wanted to know how the song goes," she ripped the paper from her song book, crumpling it in a ball and throwing it at his chest with the sling. She stood from the chair, picking up her guitar and moving toward his front door. "I hope I don't see you around." She slammed the door behind her.

this song : boy x by tate mcrae

i always hate writting madelyn's singing into the story bc it feels rlly weird but I still want the other characters to hear the songs yk like that's how she expressed herself so i want people like Lucas to hear the song so he understands how hurt or angry she is through the song.