Dead Rising

Taking a break from a long journey. Thane sits down to ponder his blessing.

Each champion had one. An ability derived from their god, to give the champion the power to surpass the normal, fulfill their duty to the highest level, and protect themselves from the dangers of the world.

But his was annoying the hell out of him.

With each breath he took, his soul would fly in and out of his body, decaying it.

He still needed to breathe, and letting all the air out of his lungs would turn him into bone. Thane needed a bit more control over this blessing from the goddess.

Thane:...

Thane:(deep breath)

Thane:(Stares at hand)

Thane: Ugh, Goddess...

Azrei: Yes?

Thane: Hm?

Like a ghost in the night, Thane found the Goddess of Death in front of him with his dead eyes.

Thane: Goddess? What are you doing here?

Azrei: You called me...

Thane: I did?

Thane: Huh... Well, anyhow. I need help with this blessing. Becoming alive and dead every time I breathe is annoying...

Azrei: You desired to know the meaning of death, what better way than experiencing it?

Thane: I'm no goddess of death... But is this really how dead people feel?

Azrei: It is when their soul is trapped within their dead body.

Azrei: Or if a necromancer uses a soul to force a corpse to move.

Thane: So I'm also experiencing what's it like to be an undead?

Azrei: No. I'd never willingly let a soul experience that.

Thane:.....(heavy sigh)

He crumbles into a pile of bones.

"Goddess, I know you have better things to do... But can you please give me more to work with?"

"I've told my fellow gods time and time again of deaths meaning, my meaning and they still do not understand it."

"What makes you think you might understand it, in the form of words?"

"Your curiosity about Death will only be satisfyingly answered if you come to the realization yourself."

"What about souls and stuff? What makes me different from an undead?"

"That... I can help with..."

"Champion... A soul is the energetic manifestation of every that is you."

"But when the body dies, that energy escapes into the aether where it may meet me so I can harvest it into one of the afterlives."

"Necromancers can snatch these souls to force bodies to move once more, however, this damages the soul."

"And two damaged things do not make a whole. Thus a zombie is born."

"A necromancer can use pieces of their soul to create a zombie"

"But these Zombies may be capable of acting like the human before death, but their lack of a soul makes them... Something else."

"What category do I fit in?"