𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏

"And then I was telling her how it's so unfair to kick out a twenty-three year old girl for not paying rent for two months, but he just doesn't get it

"And then I was telling her how it's so unfair to kick out a twenty-three year old girl for not paying rent for two months, but he just doesn't get it."

Mila, my best friend and my now roommate, kept ranting about how her landlord kicked her out since she didn't pay rent for two months, and that her landlord needs to read a book about feminism and gain respect for women living alone.

"Whatever happened to girls supporting girls?" Mila says with a scoff.

"Maybe she gets no dick? I mean sex does improve one's mood." I respond, while snacking on a granola bar.

"Sucks to suck I guess." Mila says with a shrug.

My phone starts ringing, and I see that it's my mom calling. That's strange as it's rare for her to call me during the day.

"Hi mamá, is everything okay?" I ask with worry

"Yes it is, why wouldn't it be?"

"Because you rarely call me during the day?"

"I would've texted you but always have "do not disturb" on so it's impossible to reach out to you." My mom says and I can feel her eye roll through the screen.

But it's true, I always have "do not disturb" on and it annoys everyone and honestly I find it kind of funny. I'd rather be disconnected with the world than have notifications keep buzzing. If someone was on the verge of getting murdered, I'd be the last person to contact, as I probably wouldn't see the text or call after half an hour.

"Do not disturb is so hated for what? Anyways did I do something, what happened?" I answer with curiosity.

"Your papa and I were wondering if you would join us for dinner today?"

"Sure, but is Cami coming too?"

Cami's my older sister. She's quite literally my second mother. She was my mother and father combined to be more accurate. Even though we have a big age gap, we're the same person with the same thinking. I love her to death.

"Yes baby she's coming as well." My mom responds.

"Okay, what time?"

"7 on the dot lina, please don't be late."

"Okay okay I won't I promise, love you see you later!" I respond cheerily.

"love you more, see you." My mom says before hanging up.

"What was that all about?" Mila questions.

"I have no idea and it's killing me. But I don't think I did anything so maybe it's not about me?"

I really hope it isn't about me. Because every time I go over to my parent's place, they bring up my cousins and how they're doing the best in life. I'm not the smartest but I'm not the dumbest either. But compared to my sister and my cousins, my family does an impeccable job at belittling me. Like me attending NYU isn't big enough for them. Honestly I used to try so hard to please them but nothing works, so I kind of gave up. But every now and then, I still try.