𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟗

tolerate it - Taylor Swift

Dreary is an understatement for how I feel at the moment. Going to my parent's house isn't my ideal place to go, but when I'm being threatened to—I don't think I really have a choice.

I just have a gut feeling that today's not going to be a good day. After last night's thing, I don't know what to think. I'm not good at comforting people, and I don't want Alessio to think that I don't care.

I do. And how I hate that I do.

To distract myself, I'm reading. Is it eight in the morning? Yes. Honestly, it's never too early or too late to read.

I get lost between the pages and I don't even notice Alessio entering the living room. Whenever he walks into a room, something in the air shifts. It's mind boggling to me, I've never experienced something like that before. But with him, everything he does is out of the ordinary.

"Melina. We need to talk." A stern yet, raspy voice calls out.

A twist sits in my stomach, affecting the entirety of my being. If he's not already planning my demise, I am.

He comes and takes a seat on one of the sofas, facing towards me. Even in the morning, he manages to look good. I hate it.

He clears his throat before saying a sentence I wish he never would've even thought of, "Last night didn't mean anything."

I was taken aback, but I don't let it show on my face. He says it so calmly, like it doesn't affect him one bit.

Because it doesn't, Melina.

"Yeah, I know." I choke out, unsure as to what would qualify as an 'appropriate' response.

God, I had no clue. I was aching to ask him, but I refrain. I don't want him to think any one of his words have an effect on me.

"I was tired and drunk, so were you. I don't want you to get the wrong idea." He says while, sucking a deep breath in.

It just keeps on going, doesn't it.

"I know, I was just comforting you as a...," I try to think of the right term for our situation and relationship with each other, and I don't think one exists in the dictionary. I end up sticking with the term friends. Even though we're far from it.

"I was comforting you as friends, nothing else." I lie straight out of my teeth.

"Friends." He tastes the word on his tongue, like it's a foreign word to him. Probably is. With the way that he is, he scares anyone who even tries to look in his direction.