𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟓

Nothing's Gonna Hurt You Baby - Cigarettes After Sex

I jolt awake, my body drenched in sweat. My body feels numb, but chills run down my spine at the same time. I put my hand over my chest, focusing on my breathing. It takes me a minute to breathe and remind myself I'm okay.

My nightmares have been getting worse and worse by the day. They're usually not occurring when Alessio is with me, but he's been gone for almost a week now for a business trip in Chicago, with the whole mafia mob. Not sure if that's even the right term to use, but that's what I've stuck with.

It's been hard sleeping alone, because that just leaves me with an empty void in my body. A part of me is left with the man in Chicago. Even though Alessio calls every morning and night without fail, it's not the same.

Aside from the empty void in my body, my worst demons come back to visit me. It's as if Alessio scares the demons away, but when he's gone they all come back.

I'd tell Alessio about this, but I don't want to be a burden to him. It's best for him to focus on what's more important right now, rather than me being an unnecessary hassle.

I check the time to see it's 3:35 am, meaning I have the whole night ahead of me. Any brink of sleep I had, is completely nonexistent but I try and sleep anyway.

I try and flutter shut my eyes shut, but I can feel tears escaping them. I'm too exhausted to even wipe them, so I just let them drop freely. As soon as I feel my consciousness slipping away into serenity, a calloused thumb wipes a single tear that escapes from my eyes.

I peel my eyes as I'm taken aback by the touch, just to see Alessio. Am I dreaming? I must be.

I bring my hand to pinch the skin on his face to see if he's real, and Alessio just stays there with a charming smile on his face. Adrenaline rushes through my body, being ecstatic at the fact that he really is here.

"Oh my fucking gosh, you're really here!" I jump up and hug him.

He hugs me back with so much passion that crushes my entire body, in a way that I'm not complaining. I've missed him more than I'd like to admit.

Alessio pulls away from the hug, placing both of his hands at the sides of my face, "That doesn't matter, now tell me why you were crying?"

His voice is soft yet stern at the same time, persuading me to tell him all of my worries. Knowing him, he might as well make me tell him everything.

"I'm okay, I promise." I reply, putting up a fake smile
in hopes that it will make him drop the topic.

"I know you better than that Melina, now tell me what's actually going on." Alessio says, concern flashing through his face. Oh, God.