Chapter 3

Back to present...

Oftentimes, Regina felt her life was becoming a routine. She got up, with or without Mal, ate a simple breakfast, drove to the Town Hall where a bunch of paperwork was waiting for her and once she was done she headed back home. At home, she'd make dinner, read a book and fall asleep only to do the exact same thing when she woke up.

Mal was the only one keeping her life a little interesting, but Regina was often annoyed by her. Like right now. The woman was staring at her from within the bed, while Regina was doing her skincare and applying her makeup.

"Will you finally tell me what happened with you and that Emma woman?" Mal asked. Regina knew her girlfriend had been wondering about that all night. Her mind had been elsewhere when they'd had sex last night, but it hadn't interested Regina enough to ask her about it.

"I thought I'd made myself clear, yesterday," Regina said and grabbed her dark red lipstick. "No."

"Did you two have sex in High School?"

"What part of "no" don't you understand?" Regina knew she was being harsh to Mal, but again, it didn't bother her enough to worry about it. Mal was being nosy and she didn't like nosy people.

"I wouldn't mind if you had," Mal continued, completely ignoring Regina's comments.

"Why on earth would you?"

Regina saw through the mirror that Mal shrugged. "There are people really bothered by the body count of their partners. I just wanted to clarify I'm not one of those people."

Her girlfriend smiled kindly, but Regina had to keep herself from rolling her eyes. She didn't find it sweet, she considered it bare minimum. So, when she'd applied her lipstick and had returned to Mal, she moved her lips close to her girlfriend's.

"It would be ridiculous if you were," she said and turned around. She didn't want to kiss Mal, because that would ruin the lipstick she'd so effortlessly put on and that just wasn't worth it. "I'm off to work. I suppose you can see yourself out?"

Regina didn't wait for an answer as she left her house. She hadn't eaten any breakfast, but she dreaded the idea of staying in one place with Mal any longer.

Instead of going to the Town Hall, she went to the Sheriff Station. She wanted to know for certain whether Kathryn had spoken the truth last night, and she prayed to God that her friend hadn't. Graham had told her a while back he needed a deputy, but Regina hadn't put it on her list of priorities. This was his revenge, probably.

Her heels clicked on the linoleum floors as she hastily made her way to the office. "Graham, I wanted to..." She'd started talking before she'd entered the room, but her words evaporated in the air when she noticed Emma, sitting on a desk while playing with her nightstick.

Regina pursed her lips together and looked at Graham. "I see you hired a new deputy?" She slowly walked closer to the man and kept her eyes on him, in a penetrating gaze.

"You weren't any help, so I took matters in my own hands." He shrugged. "Do you remember Emma? She was in our year, as well."

Emma waved with a smirk on her lips. "Oh, she remembers me, Graham, don't worry about that."

"Graham, can I talk to you in private, please?"

"Actually, I'm swamped, Madame Mayor. Is it important?"

Regina kept her posture high. She knew she couldn't appear weak in front of Emma and Graham, but she had no idea how to handle this situation. She wanted Emma out of Storybrooke, but she had no idea how to accomplish her goal.