Chapter 24

Regina smoothed her dress before she knocked on the door. She didn't understand why she was so nervous. She'd been on plenty of dates before, including Emma, so this didn't have to be a big deal.

However, she was sweating as a pig.

Emma opened the door and Regina gulped when she saw the dress. Emma had been very well dressed at her Christmas party, wearing a short, green cocktail dress, but now she looked downright fancy.

Her dress was long and red, with a cleavage that distracted Regina immediately. Her hair was up in a loose, yet neat, bun, and she was wearing makeup that matched the outfit.

Regina felt severely underdressed in her simple purple dress and usual makeup, but Emma didn't seem to mind. "You look gorgeous," the blonde said as she hugged Regina tightly, before letting her inside.

For one second, Regina had figured it could become awkward, because they'd grown so close as friends, but when she felt Emma in her arms and smelled her sweet scent, she realized they'd never been real friends. Regina had always felt something deeper for her.

The room was decorated with candles and it smelled quite good inside. When Regina had received Emma's text message to come to her house for the date, she'd been skeptical, but she wasn't disappointed.

"I'm glad you're here. Dinner is almost ready," Emma said and took Regina's coat. "Do you want something to drink?"

"A water would be nice." Regina smiled and focused on her breathing, so she would calm down a bit.

"You sure? I've also got sodas, lemonade, wine.."

"Water is fine."

Regina watched as Emma poured her a glass of water and a shiver ran down her spine when she repeated the memory of Emma on the counter in her mind. She couldn't wait to do it again, but she'd promised herself beforehand to remain casual and laid back at all times. She didn't want to seem too eager, because she didn't grant Emma that pleasure just yet.

Emma handed her the glass and when their fingers touched, Regina felt her heart jump in excitement. She wanted to slap herself for acting so cliché and ridiculous, but Emma made her feel things she hadn't felt in a long time.

"How was Christmas with your parents, and Kathryn?" Emma asked as they sat down at the table. Regina smiled at the beautiful woman in front of her.

"It was nice. Kathryn is not in a very good place right now, because of her breakup, but we'd decided not to talk about Frederick and it seemed to help her. My parents were the same as always, but I love celebrating Christmas with them. How did you spend the days?"

Emma got up from the table and walked to the kitchen. "I picked up Chinese for dinner and Ingrid and I hung out on Sunday," she said as she got some delicious smelling food from the oven and took it back to the table. "The party was the real "celebration", I guess."

"I really enjoyed that night," Regina replied and sipped her water. She realized Emma of course didn't spend the holidays with her family, so she decided not to continue the topic. "It was fun meeting all your friends."

"They really liked you, too."

They continued talking about every day life, just like they used to do as friends, but Regina felt it was very different than usual. She constantly felt the need to be closer to Emma and there was a romantic tension in the air, yet it felt very natural as well.

The dinner lasted hours, but it felt as though it lasted seconds. "Thank you, Emma, this was really sweet and I loved the food," Regina said, as she retrieved her coat.