Chapter 13

Regina admired the green roadsides and even pavements. It had been quite a while since she'd last set foot in The Alley, but she was glad it was progressing after the money she'd invested.

The painters had told her they'd finished today and Regina thought it'd be nice if she inspected the work herself. She was glad to see the old, rotting paint had been replaced with a new, blinking white. She'd had builders repair the worst damage and she could confidently state The Alley wasn't nearly as horrific as it was a couple years ago.

She'd had this plan for a long time, but ever since Emma had snapped at her during the first council meeting, Regina had been prioritizing this. She'd spent some extra money on the houses and it satisfied her.

Regina was still admiring the improvements, when she felt a raindrop in her neck. It was July, everyone had expected a warm summer, but there was heavy rain planned for tonight. Regina had expected it to start a little later.

She'd walked to the alley, to enjoy the last bit of sun, but as the rain starting falling more frequently, she regretted that. She didn't want to get wet and there was no way she'd walk back to her house like a drenched cat for twenty minutes.

Suddenly, she heard a car honk. Regina turned around and wanted to pretend she hadn't seen the yellow bug, but Emma was already driving up to her.

The blonde opened the door and looked at her. "Get in," she mumbled. Regina was hesitant, until the sky seemed to break open all at once and the rain started pouring like crazy.

She hastily got in the old car and fastened her seatbelt. Just because she got in Emma's car didn't mean they needed to talk, she figured. Emma and she had avoided talking to one another for the past week, they could easily continue.

Emma wasn't driving. She didn't even attempt to do so. Regina looked at the rain ticking on the glass and scanned the rest of the car. It hadn't changed in ten years, which surprised her, because it'd been a miracle the vehicle had driven back then. How Emma managed to get the car to work after so long was a mystery to her.

"This car brings back a lot of memories." So much for not talking. Regina wanted to slap herself for initiating a conversation.

Emma didn't respond, though. She kept looking at one house in particular and Regina couldn't tell why. She figured it didn't matter, though, but she did want to start driving.

"I'm sorry," Emma said, after a long moment of silence.

Regina cocked an eyebrow. "What for?"

Emma looked at her and shrugged. "Everything." She inhaled deeply. "I thought about what you said and you're right. I treated you horribly and it's time I finally take responsibility for my crappy actions. I never should've gotten involved with you."

"I didn't say that," Regina replied, hastily. "I wished you'd gotten involved with me differently."

Emma chuckled and sighed softly. "You're right." She kept staring at the house. "I'm also sorry what I said about Mal. I got you involved with the sheriff, I got you started with drugs and alcohol, I did a ton of things you didn't do to Mal."

Regina swallowed and picked her nails. This was the one thing she'd agreed on with Emma during the fight. She'd treated Mal badly, she'd known that from the start, but she'd never before seen the parallel with her own life.

"I should've treated Mal better, too. You were right about that."

Emma was quiet, then she averted her eyes to Regina's and for the first time, Regina didn't feel like ripping Emma's throat out. She actually felt okay.