Chapter 4

Back to the past...

Regina ran her hands through her dark brown hair, trying to get her curls just right as she stood in front of the mirror. She smoothed her t-shirt that was far too big and looked herself in the eyes, while taking a deep breath.

Then, she left the school's bathroom and walked back to the cafetaria. Her friends were already sitting there, but she needed to take care of something else first. Her eyes roamed the entire cafetaria, but she didn't find the person she was looking for.

She looked outside the window that had a view of the park and she recognized Emma's blonde curls from afar. Before heading to her own friends, Regina hastily ran down the stairs, through the big doors and left the school to speak to Emma.

When she got closer to Emma and her friends, who were laughing loudly and smoking cigarettes, she swallowed thickly. Regina desperately felt the need to talk to Emma, but she didn't have the confidence.

She wasn't popular, she didn't smoke during breaks and it was an unwritten rule that people like Regina didn't disturb people like Emma. Regina was about to break that rule, because she had to ease her mind.

"Uh, hi." She cleared her throat and felt her nerves increase as Emma and her friends turned around. She recognized Midas and blushed when she remembered what Emma and she had done in his parents' bed. "Emma, can I talk to you privately for a second?"

Her voice was hoarse and she hated that. Emma smiled amused and quirked an eyebrow. "Regina, was it?"

At least Emma had remembered her name.

"Yeah, uh, I'd like to talk to you."

"What about?"

Regina felt very uncomfortable, having all of Emma's friends stare at her and the smoke didn't help one bit. She'd always been afraid of smoking. Her mother had warned her as soon as she could about the dangers of doing drugs, smoking and alcohol.

"Last Friday. But I don't feel comfortable discussing that.. here."

Emma smirked and held up a pack of cigarettes. "You smoke?"

"No, thank you. Could we just.."

"No," Emma replied with the same smirk. Her friends grinned and Regina started to feel the embarrassment of approaching Emma during lunch break.

"I just wanted to check in and see if you were okay."

Her friends now actually started laughing out loud and Emma took another drag of her cigarette. Regina shifted uncomfortably on her feet.

She wanted Emma to ask her if she was okay, as well. It'd been a big deal for her. She'd never even kissed a person, let alone more than that, so she couldn't take it as lightly as Emma seemed to do. It had been a special moment and she wanted to talk about the meaning it held to Emma.

"I am, honey, why wouldn't I be?" Emma didn't even try to exhale the smoke so it wouldn't bother Regina. The brunette felt a wave of smoke sting her eyes.

"Well," Regina had started to whisper, "I liked last Friday. I just hoped you did too."

Regina had never had the balls to just walk up to Emma like this. She'd always admired the girl from afar. The way she was so confident with everything she did, she seemed to have it all figured out. Today, she'd figured that having slept with Emma gave her the right to speak to the girl, but she started to realize she'd been wrong about that.

"I finished."

"Finished what?"

One girl let out a loud laugh, Regina remembered her name to be Jacinda, and she felt her own cheeks turn bright red. But, she was already ashamed enough standing in front of the group, there wasn't much she could do to make it worse.