Chapter 5

Back to present...

The way the three timid knocks sounded indicated that Mal was waiting for her. Regina turned her laptop off and adjusted her hair.

It'd been a long day of work and she was glad to finally be finished. It was just that she'd been looking forward to an evening alone and now Mal was interrupting.

"Come on in," Regina spoke and got off her chair.

Mal had a sweet smile on her lips. It was that smile that had first attracted Regina when they'd met in the bar. Mal had approached her and Regina had figured, why not have a one night stand with this woman?

It'd turned out differently than she'd expected and at moments like this, she regretted that. She wasn't cut out for this lifestyle, but Mal seemed not to notice that at all.

Even though it didn't suit her, Regina didn't want to end her relationship with Mal. She liked having someone around her that cared for her, she liked being able to have someone around who always wanted to have sex when she did, too. Mal knew what she was doing in bed and that was one quality Regina cared for.

"I got a surprise for you," Mal said softly and continued smiling. Regina almost felt bad for feeling annoyed by the woman. Almost. "Come."

Reluctantly, Regina got up. She didn't show her disinterest, though. She smiled at her girlfriend with as much love as she could muster and put her arm around the woman.

Mal led her out of the building towards the one decent restaurant Storybrooke had. "I got us a reservation."

"Aw, that's sweet," Regina said. It didn't top an evening alone in the bathtub, but she was in the mood for some good food, so that made it somewhat better.

A waiter showed them to their table and Regina took in Mal as the woman sat down. She was wearing the ugliest, red coat Regina had ever seen, but Mal kept insisting it fit her well. She had the same hair color as Emma did - not that Regina was comparing them - but Mal always had it tucked into a low bun. She had blue eyes, almost gray, and full lips that were painted a bright red, as opposed to Regina's dark lips.

"Is there something between my teeth?" Mal looked concerned and started roaming through her purse.

"No, why would you assume that?"

"You were staring."

"Well, you're my girlfriend. Am I not allowed to look at you?"

Mal fell silent for a second and then nodded. "Yes, of course. It's just.. normally, you don't do that. Not when I have clothes on, that is." Mal giggled.

Regina smiled politely and grabbed Mal's hand. "You're a beautiful woman, Mal. I don't think you hear that enough."

Mal blushed. Regina was glad her partner was enjoying the compliment. It was true, too. Mal was a naturally beautiful woman and she was glad to have landed her, even though relationships didn't do much for her.

"Thank you, Regina." Mal squeezed Regina's hand and pressed a soft kiss against it. "I.. I love you."

Their relationship was over six months old, so Regina knew she could've seen this one coming. There just wasn't enough time in the world to prepare oneself for such a moment.

She forced a smile as she pondered on any possible thing she could say in response to Mal, until the door to the restaurant opened and her smile immediately faded.

"What's wrong?" Mal asked as she turned her head around. Regina froze and grabbed Mal's other hand too. She wasn't going to let Emma ruin any more nights of her life.