Chapter 18

Kathryn was laughing. A bursting, wholehearted laugh, which made Regina smile as well. Mainly because she liked seeing her friend happy, but also because she was laughing over something Emma had said.

Her nemesis had changed. Regina hadn't really seen it before this dinner, but Emma was like a whole different person, yet also very much the same. It was as though her few good qualities had grown and expanded and her bad characteristics were gone.

"You should've taken that white wine with the pasta, Emma. The wine here is really good, especially the ones the waiters suggest," Kathryn said, once she was done wiping the tears from her face.

Regina had noticed Kathryn trying to be nicer to Emma, once the woman had come back from the bathroom, and it was really working. They'd both warmed up to each other and Regina realized Emma and she had finally closed the past.

"I rarely drink," Emma replied as she sipped her coke. "Once my mother was in rehab, the alcohol was less accessible and I realized I had a chance of taking back control over my life."

"I didn't know your mother was an alcoholic," Kathryn said and glanced briefly at Regina. They'd barely spoken about their past during dinner and Regina wondered how Emma was going to handle it.

Though Emma wasn't as closed off as she'd been ten years ago, she still hadn't enjoyed the conversations in the car.

"She was. I don't know how she's coping nowadays, I haven't seen her after she returned from rehab."

"You haven't seen her since? That was ten years ago." Regina was utterly surprised. She'd raised her voice the slightest bit and a red headed woman at the table next to them turned around with a frown.

"I'm trying to muster up the courage to talk to her, but I'm cowardly."

"I never would've guessed in a million years that your mom was an alcoholic. What about your dad?" Kathryn asked. The judgement from the beginning of the conversation had disappeared completely and Regina could see Kathryn was genuinely being interested.

"My dad died when I was eight."

Regina didn't know that. She'd never asked Emma about her dad and she now realized how odd that was. She'd heard all about Emma's past and not once had she wondered where her father was.

"Oh, I'm sorry, Emma. I didn't know, that sucks," Regina said and laid her hand on top of Emma. It didn't earn her the skeptic look she thought she'd receive from Kathryn. In fact, her friend ignored the action completely.

"It wasn't too bad. I was never very fond of him. He brought home the money, though. We were able to live off his savings for six years, that was when my mother's drinking really took over and I had to find other ways to get money." Emma smiled. "Anyways, let's discuss something less depressing than my mother. Do you two know what Fiona's going to name her child?"

Regina slowly moved away her hand as they continued gossiping about people they knew from High School, colleagues and exes. She was glad Kathryn had come, because she'd broken the ice. She didn't think this night would've gone as smoothly had she not shown up.

"Thank you, guys, for this great evening. I know I shouldn't have dropped in on you two without warning, but I'm glad I finally understand why Regina has stopped disliking you, Emma."

Kathryn grabbed her purse and kissed Regina's cheek. "Dinner is on me, because I interrupted you so rudely. Bye, you two." She waved and headed to the counter.

Emma scraped the last of the pie off her plate and avoided Regina's gaze, that much was obvious. They were alone again and suddenly everything was quiet and uncomfortable.