Chapter 14

10 years and 2 months before the reunion...

Emma had always hated her street. She hated the way the white paint of the window frames had cracks and she hated that the fences were taped together, due to lack of money to take care of it permanently.

She was walking slowly. She was in no need to get home, because she had no reason to. She had nothing. Her plan had failed and now she was no longer welcome in both of Storybrooke's grocery stores.

Her telephone rang and she picked it up as she looked at the dead flowers in her garden. "Emma, girl, what are you wearing to Jacinda's party tonight?"

Emma faked a smile and straightened her posture, even though Margot couldn't see her. It helped make herself feel more confident. She needed every bit of confidence she could get in this moment.

She knew this would be the last party she'd go to in a while, because she had to work for Marco. She couldn't feel sorry for stealing groceries. Not when she was judged by people who had everything they wanted and could afford everything they needed.

"Don't know. I'm thinking my purple dress," Emma replied as she opened her front door. She inhaled the scent of alcohol and vomit and winced. She didn't want to clean it up, again, but she knew she had no choice. Her mother was passed out on the couch and Emma was relieved to see her chest going up and down.

"That's a great one," Margot said. "I was thinking.."

"Margot, I really want to talk to you about this later, but there's something I need to do real quick. Is it okay if I call you back later?"

She didn't want to hear Margot blabber on about dresses while she was cleaning her mother's vomit. It'd become routine, almost. She barely felt disgusted with it anymore.

When everything was cleaned up, Emma washed her hands. She always felt the need to shower afterwards, but she couldn't afford to lose more water. Cleaning up her mother's puke, cost her a five minute shower.

She felt the breeze of the broken window and watched her neighbor tend to some flowers. Emma felt herself well up. She'd screwed up.

Ever since she'd started stealing groceries, she knew there would come a point this would happen. She'd always postponed thinking about her next moves in case it did, but now she regretted that.

She let her gaze go from her sleeping mother on the couch to the cabinets that only held one leftover pack of crackers.

Her life was slowly spinning out of control and she needed to take it back. But she desperately needed money to do so and she didn't have any.

Emma groaned when she realized what she had to do. Her tears started falling faster and she went to her room. She fixed up her hair in front of the mirror and she changed into different clothing, while smoking a cigarette. Her breasts were squashed in this dress and it'd taken her a long time to learn how to properly walk in it.

She covered her mother with a blanket and kissed her forehead. The only time she really liked Mary Margaret was when she was asleep.

Emma inhaled deeply, twice, to mentally prepare herself. Every time she'd disliked it, yet every time it'd been necessary.

She knocked on her neighbor's door and a sweet looking woman opened it. "Hi, Mrs. Darling. Is Michael home?"

Mrs. Darling nodded and let her inside. Michael worked in the garage. He was a few years older than Emma and had always had an interest in her. Emma had learned how to use that to her advantage.

She walked up to his room and knocked again. "Michael?" She sounded alluring. She knew how to turn him on.

"Come in." He was on his bed looking at his phone. "Emma." He looked up in surprise. "It's been a while."