chapter 1

The sun is about to set in the pastures as Iona watched the descending ball of fire on the horizon. She watched in awe as the big ball of fire bursts different hues of orange and yellow, it magically forms a beautiful mirage on the surface of the deep blue sea. She stood at the top of a hill which in about a 20 meters distance lies the pastures, the shepherds is ushering the sheeps to the wooden farmhouse which is located at the barn, not too far from the hill, thankfully the hill is not that steep enough for the shepherds to have a hard time. Iona took a deep breath and decided that it's time to go back into reality and as she turned around, she saw a young sheep lingering who got last of its tracks. The sheep went into a different direction as the shepherds are buisy guiding enough to notice, then she contemplated that the kid is traversing into her direction. The kid gets closer and closer until it reaches her spot, it then stopped and began grazing the tall grass just beside her foot, the kid kept on bleating but she cannot help but smile. She does not know why but she feels the same way the kid does, she can't read the animal's mind but she stick to the idea that the kid is just like her. Ah yes, just like her - youthful, unquiet and resistant the traits that should not define her bloodline and she can't deny the fact that she is indeed the princess. She just stared at the defiant creature until all of the catle is settled and a shepherd noticed the kid's disappearance.

"I.. i'm sorry yer highness" a shepherd apologized with his head down, not able to meet her graze and began scooping the lamb on his thin arms. He was young, thin and wary with a hair in color of blond, he has a suntanned skin and deep blue eyes and she assumed he is new as most of the shepherds does not treat her like a fragile being.

"It's .. ok, may i ask what's yer name young lad?" As she smiled reassuringly.

The boy did not look up but instead answered diligently, the lamb began to wiggle at his hold but he kept it firm.

"Keife, princess" he answered meekly

"Well, kiefe from now on just call mei iona" she smiled upon uttering those words and she pat him on his shoulder blades. It's easier for her to do that because he is a way bit smaller than her and much slim.

Kiefe looked up and stared into her big brown eyes with curiosity wondering if what she's saying is true, she just stood there motionless with a bright smile on her face.

"I believe ye have to put that rebel into his right position kiefe" she said, breaking the short silence. Kiefe blushed because of his dumbfound moment and nodded his head, he ran straight to the farmhouse and stole one glance before walking away. Iona took it as a cue for her to go home as well before the king find out she was gone in the pastures all day.

♢♢♢

"That's in no way to behave like ei princess, ye ir me?" The king said in disbelief, insisting Iona's behavior is distasteful.

"But father, i was just in the meadows. . I .." she replied with her head down, trembling while staring at her lap without touching her food on the dining table.

"Nonesense!" He interrupted "Ye should be here practicing how to rule ei hell of a kingdom! Ye ar to be eight and ten summers old in a matter of time, soon .. ye will marry ei prince and i won't tolerate shame in our family!" He said angrily and pounded his fist.

"Will ye stop treating her like ei wee child! Iona is ei grown wee of ei lass!" Frederick, her older brother interrupted. Who sits across iona's direction and stared at the king who sat at the edge of the long wooden table. The table is long enough to accomodate special varieties of spiced meat and sweetened crops, but just enough to hear an argument and just the right elegancy for the people in affordance.

"Ye do not dare to tell me what i do, ye hear me?!" He yelled madly as Frederick said nothing in response.

The king's face is as red as his beard and hair, only that his hair is as of a dark orange. His deep green eyes has gotten deeper due to his intolerance and rage, Frederick snarled and stared at him sharply. iona looked at them from side to side and she felt grateful with a hint of worry. Grateful that her brother stood up for her but worried for the conflict it has caused, she bit her upper lip and heard his father's footstep away from the room. She did not bother to look because she is afraid she might catch an unwanted attention.

"Ar ye al ryt?" Frederick broke the silence for a while with a hint of concern, she just nodded her head and began eating her sweetened corn, if there is one thing that she cannot control it is the call of her guts.