chapter 14

'My Jarl, My master. I think I have a great information that you might want to know' stated Harjane as he travelled long to the plaza to see his master. The stout man is eager to trade his information as his green wide eyes blinks dreamily. His tangled beard hangs until it reaches his chest and his greasy long blond locks are tied in a bun. He seems to have come prepared for this day.

'And your demands?' Walfer sat at the edge of his dining table as he gulps his mead.

' a bony wife' Harjane replied with a hint of happiness as he shows his now crooked teeth.

'Just tell me what it is and I might consider' Walfer stated as his right brow was raised with a questioning look.

Harjane cleared his throat as he excitedly spoke.

'I have been eavesdropping'

'and?'

'well, remember the land you raided? Ireland is it?'

'and?' Walfer said impatiently as this information might interest him.

'I heard that Frederick their prince found a new land called France'
Harjane said.

'And what is it to me?'

'Well, I've heard that he is seeking for help to retrieve his younger sister from you'

'I didn't know that i have his younger sister' Walfer said with a grim in his now wrinkling face. He remembered that day when they tried to raid that land in the west, they failed as they have more advanced military tactics such as the use of crossbows and catapults. He learned those type of weapons from a merchant a while later and he can't think of a way to disarm them as they are only seafarers, trained in raiding in close range. So, it is a great threat for him and his kind if they set foot in their land especially that Frederick is now seeking help from them.

'well? isn't that valuable? ...
so where's my wife?' Harjane said with excitement as Walfer is known to keep bony women. His most prized possession to keep his business.

'Very well, If you tell me first from whom this information came from' Walfer said as he gulped his mead.

The next day, Harjane's body was found tied and mangled at a wooden pole in the main plaza.

💜💜💜

Iona is trying to wash a bundle of wool beside the river with the other thralls as the chilly air caress his face. The shivers as she does not have a cloak to protect her from the chill. The one he had been wearing was left in walfer's domain. The other women gave a mocking look at her as they wash the wools effortlessly while she struggled to wash hers.

'You seemed inexperienced for this. let me tell you, they don't pamper you here' A woman her age approached her as she already washed hers.  Iona stared at her short auburn locks and cerulean blue orbs. Iona found her very bony, adding it to her petite frame.
'Here, let me help you. The easiest way for you to wash it is to comb with your barehand. like this...' The auburn beauty demonstrated it with such grace. Iona envied her for that, she cleared her throat,

'thanks'

'well, that's it. it's very easy just like combing your hair.' she smiled and looked at her.'By the way, what's your name?'

' me name is.... is.. Iona ' Not actually caring if she actually exposed her real name. Thinking that it won't matter as long as she can gain a friend.

'I've heard that name before . hmm' The auburn one stated quizzically.

'Nay, yo donna' Iona shrugged non chalantly. hoping the girl will take it as a coincidence.

'Oh well, my name is beausna and i can tell ye are frm Ireland' Beausna teased as she winked with mischief.

'Aye, and u?' Iona asked.

'Well, I'm from Lindisfare'

'Ye ar a christian?'

'How do you know?'

'I've heard before that it is wer di monks and monasteries settled, yer town is famows fr its churches' Iona replied, remembering how his brother talked about his journey in lindisfare. Also it's very unfortunate how that famous holy land became an ashen town as the seafarers learned of their existence. She remembered how she felt bad upon learning the news from a merchant who happens to trade in their land.

'Well, how about you? do you praise the mighty Odin?' Beausna asked still with mischief.

'I'm ei christian too' Iona admitted.

'Well, .. we can be friends' Beausna offered with a smile. Iona smiled back as they sat, tired of squatting just to clean the wool.

'I haven't really introduced myself but i'm wondering, how did you get here?' Beausna asked.

'Ay was bot by...'

'Beausna! Lady Astrid calls you' A panting herald called as he clutched his hand to his chest to catch his breathing.

'Well, i should go. Lady Astrid needs my expert touch'
Iona just smiled weakly as Beausna stood up and brushed off the dirt on her skirt. Iona continued to wash the wool as the sun sets from the horizon.

Iona did not sleep with Brynjar that night as he seems not to be in the mood. She slept in the stocks along with the other Thralls, she clutched the thin cloth that binds her from the coldness of the night as she wondered where Beausna might be. She tossed and turn as the calmness of the night engulfed her, she wondered what is happening to her brother and father or if they may still be alive. She wondered where Kiefe might be or is he feeling well. many questions drawn her as she heard a light movement. She turned in that direction and saw Beausna ready to tuck in his bed. Ay wonder wer she came from. She just shrugged it off as she ventured into a tight slumber.