chapter 20

The sun is almost up and brynjar is still not on his side of the bed. Iona yawned and rubbed her eyes as she got up to start the day. she looked around her with an unfamiliar feeling as she got caught up on the turn of events. she rubbed her now hardened belly as the shock of a life inside her still didn't settle in her nerves. for a moment she thought that something inside her belly moved but thought it is due to hunger as she did not eat since brynjar confined her in the infernal room. she paced back and forth as she did not know how to start the day, suddenly a loud bang was heard at the door and saw a very drunk brynjar with beausna struggling to carry him with his arms. Iona comprehended what happened as a pang suddenly settled in her chest, unfortunately she does not know why.

'He drank all night long, I just can't keep up with his tolerance' Beausna said with amusement as she bend down to put the mumbling brynjar on the bed.

'Wat do ye mean?' Iona asked.

'Oh you know we enjoyed our selves pretty quite well' beausna replied innocently.
Iona felt a knotting feeling in her stomach as she said those words.

'You don't love him don't you? .. I'm sorry I should not have said that'
Beausna continued.

'N...na... nay nay, Tis nothin personal... Ay donna love him.. selfish en ol' Iona replied with a stutter.

Beausna raised her eyebrow.

'very well, take care' she said as she took a leave.

Iona looked at the snoring man on the bed, she stared at his open lips and innocent look. how she wished he continue to be looking that way than the cold man that he is. She noticed the pungent smell of mead as she went out to satisfy her now raging morning sickness.
💜💜💜💜
The day went by very fast as Iona continued to do her daily chores. Only this time it is lighter so it's weaving. She noticed the incessant stares she's been getting from the other thralls, she does not know why other than Astrid clinging at her and talking to her all morning.

'so the bairn must be like me, beautiful and all. oh! oh!... I just realized something!' astrid said excitedly.

Iona just raised her eyebrow in reply, getting quite tired of Astrid's non stop chatter.

'oooh i will love that bairn very much! specially that i will have an idea on how our future bairn will look like!' Astrid squealed.

Iona knows it's her brother that she's talking about.

'sister! could you please stop talking even for a day' Brian interrupted. Iona was surprised of how brian approached them unnoticed.

'Where are you going? don't tell me you will give up the throne without a fight with me? that's injustice for my part' Astrid said, ignoring how her brother shut her up.

'I'm going to the trader's market. to find some lucky whores of course' he said smugly.

Astrid snorted

'Lucky? please.. even a cow will not want to be that lucky'

'laugh all you want sister but you will surely be needing my help soon'

'Please this is not the time to joke around'

'well, i'm meeting someone'

'that's good and i don't care.. be gone brother and never look back'

'It's Frederick'

Iona felt her heart racing at the mention of her brother's name.
Thank god he's alive! she thought to herself.

'what? I mean ...I don't care pfft. pfft'
Astrid jokingly snorted and waved her hands in dismissal.

'are you sure? because we all know he's not there for the cows' he said with a hint of  amusement.

she grunted in response.

'and by the way, this can be the last time he and me can see each other again'

💜💜💜💜
'Ay wan to see me brother' Iona said.

'No you will stay here. If my brother found out that you're gone he'll go berserk' Astrid replied as she saddled on her milky white horse.

'pleas ay miss him' she insisted.

'i'll tell hím you are here and i will make him understand your condition'

Iona sighed, guess she didn't have a choice.
💜💜💜💜
'We must be ready, Walfer just mentioned that the irish prince went to france' Lord harflr said as he paced back and forth in his room while brynjar is sitting and rubbing his temples.

'I know, why does it concern me ...now that you stripped me of my privilege? Brian should be the one worried' Brynjar responded.

'your good for nothing of a brother is not here'

'he escaped again didn't he?'

'yes, with your sister. which is.... odd'

Brynjar knows how his brother fancies going to the tavern so much to escape their father's demand but astrid going with him is truly odd.

'Whatever it is that they're doing... we don't have anything to do with it' Brynjar replied.

'Yes i have something to do with it... they carry my reputation..' he sighed '. it's useless being the most powerful in the land when all i have are useless disappointing children who bears it'

Brynjar felt a pinch in his heart at his father's words but as always, chose to ignore it anyways.
He can feel his voice croak as he spoke.

'then let me prove myself to you. this time i'll kill the irish prince myself' he replied grimly as Lord harflr wore the unusual smirk on his face.