chapter 4

She panted so hard until she can breathe no more, her sweat and effort could have been worth it until she realized it's too late. Dark smokes billow the lush forest as the echoes of scream travel the area, she is already close in reaching the castle walls as the watchers began assembling and retrieving their weapons. She don't know what to do but to wait or hide.. wait for them to defeat the barbarians or hide if instincts told her so. As she stood in the woods unnoticed and silent, horns were blown and she realized that the barbarians are close in subduing the castle as they have appeared through the billowing fog of smoke and dirt. The barbarians are big and built with a leather armore and a steelhead hat, they hold variety of weapons but most hold a big club, she already felt hopeless for her country men who got buisy being drunk earlier unknowing that it is their last gulp of ale. The leader of the former group stood infront of the approaching batallion, he is indeed well built with a blond hair and brown eyes, she is assuming that he is already in his ripe age as lines began to draw on his forehead and behind his ebony eyes, she began to think that he was once handsome and legendary. She shook her head upon the thought and cursed herself upon thinking about it, over her current situation. She refocused on the bloody fight and began to worry if Frederick and his father will be alright, if they would be safe and if they would survive the battle, the barbarians were outnumbered but they've got skills, taking advantage of the drunk beings, taking advantage of her hope and family. Tears cascaded from his wide brown eyes upon thinking about the worst possible result, until she heard a twig snap behind her. She looked at the source and saw a familiar boy hiding behind the bushes, he was obviously shaky with a blank expression painted on his tanned face.

"Kiefe! Lad! ., come eir" she whispered, trying her might to reach out for the boy. Kiefe hesitated at first but he knows he had no choice, he gently ran in her direction until someone took grip of him and he screamed and.. ... it is the last thing Iona could remember before her vision started to blur as she felt a stinging pain on his head.

♢♢♢

Iona woke up with the sunlight penetrating her eyelids, she can feel the pain and discomfort on her head and back as she realized she has been laying on a cold daunt floor, she is in an isolated area whom she assumed is a cellar. She scanned her surroundings and noticed it is wet, the displeasing smell of feces and urine came through her senses as she tried to cover her nose, later on she discovered that she was not alone. Male children and females the same as her age cuddled nervously at the corner, she can see the terrified expression in their eyes as they weep nervously. Iona can't seem to understand the situation until she felt a movement, at then she realized they are moving .. they are on a boat. With the aid of a un seemingly small window, she tried so hard to adjust her senses and scanned the area.. she later on saw what she's looking for, Kiefe. He's lying on a corner and she assumed he has not awaken yet, she rushed at his aid even if she felt the stinging sensation on his head, she put his head on her lap.. it is the only comfort she can offer.

Suddenly, the strong wooden door opened and a big, muscular man entered with a tray of scraped bones and a cup of water on his hands .. he laid it down on the floor and descended accordingly. Iona then began to realize that the food was given to them and it is not enough for ten women and children to eat, most of her company raced to the tray.. leaving her and kiefe nothing to eat..

Five moons have passed but Iona still had no idea in where the barbarians will take her, she had been eating scraped bones with a few chunks of meat, and for that she has learned the art of anticipation .. anticipating the moments where the same muscular man will take their "food" and it's up to her to race first and grab the finest ones.. she of course shared with kiefe who in turn was delighted and became her friend, they are the only allies in the cellar and it gave them a bigger advantage compared to the others, but despite having kiefe's company she still felt loneliness inside her, she almost cried every night remembering what happened and imagined what horrors can her father and brother would have faced, she considered herself lucky to be spared .. however, not lucky enough for her marred appearance, her clothes had been soiled and she began to smell unpleasantly, it is due to the fact that she has not bathed for five moons (days).

"Land aboard!" An echoe passed through their area and was heard inside the cellar.. she glimpsed through the mini window who is just in her eye level.. and there it was., a land.. And it is a land where she never had been before.

♢♢♢

What do you think will happen to her?

Click the like bottom and comment for any suggestions or complaints :) thank you ,.