chapter 18

As Iona lay on Brynjar's bed, she unconsciously lift her hands and drew imaginary circles on Brynjar's back. Thinking her life would be better than this if she did not get caught in the raid. What happened to her brother? or perhaps to her father? is all that is now encircling her mind. Even though her father is always mad at her, she does not cease to forget the love she has for him.

Brynjar can feel the circles drawn on his back, it made him relax a little bit as he always have a hard time getting his sleep. He would always dream of nightmares, particularly of how her mother looked like when he found her hanging on a tree. She hang there lifeless and her eyes were open like it portrays the horror she must have seen. She had gone missing for five moons and nobody knows who abducted her, no hint of her whereabouts. The worst part is that he was only ten winters old, as a child the forest is his sanctuary, his hiding place but after what he saw he cannot dare to be near that area. He avoided that place like it causes a plague, mayhaps it caused a plague to his soul. Even if the winter is coming, he never dared to hunt there, odin knows the trauma he has to endure.

Thinking about it, perhaps it never hurts to talk about it in company. He turned to face her and he saw those curious brown eyes along with her bare frame. She started to lower her eyes to avoid his, he touched the tip of her chin for him to see her face clearly.

'Bony' is the word that escaped his lips.

she gulped.
'thank you' is all that she replied.

'Ahram, where's your family?..I mean... do you know if they are still alive?'

'nay me Lord, I donna now' and a sigh escaped her lips, feeling she is about to shed a tear.
Brynjar saw her sadness and felt bad about asking.
'I'm sorry'

'nay, ye ar not' she replied as she turned and let her bare back face him.

'My mother died when I was young.... I... I.... saw her .... kill herself' was all about he can say as his lips trembled, releasing something that he kept for so long. Iona turned to face him, surprised of Brynjar's sudden exposure of weakness and pain. She pities how he avoided her graze, a painful look on his watery eyes.
She did not say anything as she hugged him and lay a comfortable silence.

'Please don't leave my side tonight.... I... I can't sleep' He weakly said, ashamed of bruising his ego but felt good and relieved anyways.

'donna worry, I won't... me mother died too..' she gulped 'she died of ei terrible sickness, Ay missed her'
Brynjar quietly smiled as they lay there comforting each other.

💜💜💜💜
'I didn't see you last night. Did Brynjar so much tire you?' Beausna cheerily said as they sat on the haystack, weaving the wools they washed.

'Nay'

'oh, but you look restlessly tired' she retorted and winked.

Iona looked at her and smiled. She wondered how she managed to ask her about it when in fact she should be jealous. Considering their past and all.
'Oh goodness, you look pale... Are you sick?' Beausna asked.

'Nay, Just did not eat much' Iona replied.

'Well, who would eat much? they feed us gruel and a bread made of stone' Beausna replied with distaste.
a chuckle escaped Iona's lips.

💜💜💜💜
'Iona, ... can you please get more haystacks in the stables...I think that Lady Astrid's bedding need more straws' Beausna asked as she approached her, she just finished salting the meat for winter, much to her distaste.
Iona nodded as she reached for her woolen coat, the winter breeze starting to blow.

she walked to outside the kitchen and felt the billowing winds. Her legs felt the chill as she started to run, she finally reached the stables and gathered an armful of hay.

'what is a bony lass like you doing here?' a voice said.
Iona stood straight to face a grinning man, someone she never had seen before. The voice belonged to a man, with a Jet black hair and tanned skin. The man has an outgrown beard and his frame seems to tower him, with the scar on his eyebrow he seems to be a mercenary.

'Ay em just getting these straws for lady astrid' she replied as she continued to pick up more.

'Why? Just stay here... perhaps you can join me...' he arrogantly said as he advance towards her and groped her ass.

'nay, ay em just gna go... Let go of mei!' she protested as the man hugged him from behind and began kissing her neck.

'Why? you're just a thrall. you are nothing but a harlot here' he resumed as she continued to struggle. He began to lift her dress and the memories of her struggles came to her senses. nay, ay em d princess of ireland, and ay deserve better than treated like a piece of dirt.
tears began to well up from her eyes as she felt helpless but began to scan the area to formulate a plan.

'we can just lay down? It is easier for ye' she said with a forced smile. The man smiled in his brightest as he pushed her and began removing his breeches. he toppled on her as she grabbed a handful of straw and shoved it on his face, particularly in the eyes. He howled in pain as he touched his eye area and get off her. she took it as an opportunity and kicked him on his ribs , he howled louder as she made her escape. upon instinct, she hurriedly grabbed a chestnut colored horse and untied it as she buckled and ran freely.
she passed through the other slaves as they gave a curious glance at her, brynjar was about to rest from a day's training as he saw a familiar figure riding a horse. He recognized her and fumed with rage, the nerve to escape from me? he thought to himself as he grabbed a grazing horse and buckled himself as he torpedoed to catch her before she escapes.