chapter 19

He got sight of her as she rode deep in the forest. She went into a halt and stopped beside a tree, she fervishly sat on the root after tying the horse and let out a gag of vomit. she seems to be tired and hurt of what's happening that she does not have a care in the world. She let out a sob as all the hurt that she had to endure kept coming back to her. Brynjar unbuckled himself as he walk towards her direction, Iona heard the crunching of leaves as she looked up and saw Brynjar glowering at her. She continued to hug her legs to secure herself from her raging emotions. She heard a shuffling noise and felt his presence beside her.

He sighed.

'What are you doing?' He said.

she did not answer.

'I should punish you for this, thralls have no right to use a horse and run'

'I donna care, just kill mei en be done with it'

he pinched the bridge of his nose as he continued.

'You look sick, are you all right?'

'Ye Donna care, go away!'

'Look, I don't care about you but I care when you're unfit... It means I do not want my bedwarmer to be gone for a night just because she's sick'

'after ye have used mei all ye want, dat's all ay em to ye?... ei harlot? ei bed warmer?.... well, maybe dat's d reason why God did not want Beausna to be with you! she's she's... beautiful en ye... ye ar rotten inside!'
she fumed as she faced him

'Do not talk to me about your god! specially about Beausna!' he spatted as he dragged up her arm and held her waist to lift her on the horse.

upon touching her belly area, he froze and looked at her with his eyes wide open. she kept a curious glance at his direction as a smile unconsciously curled up on his lips.

'wat?' she asked.

'nothing' he said. Iona felt even more puzzled.

'why ar ye smiling?' she questioned.

'how long were you sick'

'Ay was never sick'

'please just answer my question'

Iona sighed.

'three morrows ago'
Brynjar smiled at his brightest, he may not be a healer but he knows when a lady is carrying, thanks for his experiences in the tavern.

'come let's go' he said. iona wondered why he has been acting unlike his cold self While brynjar cannot hide the feeling of happiness, it is the happiest moment in his life as he cannot comprehend why.

💜💜💜💜
'There they are' Brian pendingly greeted as the whole of the important family stood infront of the house. Brynjar doesn't like the grim on their faces while astrid gave them an apologetic look.

'A runaway thrall?' Harflr grimly said.
Brynjar's heart stammered nervously for the first time as he knows what awaits the woman at his back.

'Father... i'll deal with her' he snappily replied.

'No, a capital punishment is a must. to show these people that we are not weak... to show them the power that we have over them'

'I said, I'll deal with her father' Brynjar said through greeted teeth.
Lord Harflr looked at him with a questioning glare.

'What? a thrall again?'
Brynjar got a hurtful expression as he knows the worst scenario awaits her.

'she's carrying my bairn!' he exclaimed.

all of them were took by surprise, even the thralls who lift their heads in surprise.

Lord Harflr sighed.

'very well, I can spare her in one condition'

'name it'

'you will not inherit my lands and my power as you did not took part in our bargain'

'ok' was all that Brynjar said as Iona looked puzzled.

'what? you mean I will be king?' Brian interrupted grimly, 
Astrid cleared her throat.

'oh right, I almost forgot..... well she can have it. she looks manly enough' Astrid slapped him.
'ouch! see? you all saw what I'm talking about... you saw it father tell me you saw it!.. her bicep is...'

'stop this foolishness!' Lord Harflr exclaimed as he took one last glance at the two and take his leave.

The two siblings continued to banter as Brynjar took a hold of Iona's hand and went inside. Iona took one glance at the thrall's direction and saw Beausna with a hurt expression.

💜💜💜💜
As they entered brynjar's cabin, Brynjar hugged her as she was taken aback.

'Ye donna have to do that' She said.

'Of course I can'

'Ye donna have to..' she said in a hushed tone.

'Shush, just take care of my bairn' he reassuringly said.

'Ay want to tell ye something' she said with a defiant stare.

'well, tell me'

'I'm not what ye think ay em'

'what do you mean?'

knock knock

a knock was heard.

'wait' Brynjar said as he opened the wooden door.
Beausna stood there with a quiver as she stole a glance at Iona before she directed her  attention at the questioning man in front of her.

'we need to talk' she said with a hushed tone.

'why?' Brynjar asked.

'come i'll show you something' she said as she held his hands and went into a direction.
Brynjar looked at Iona and offered an apologetic look, Iona just nodded and smiled.

'what is it?' Brynjar said with impatience in his voice.
Beausna directed him to the stables, as they reached their destination.

'Do you love her?' Beausna asked.

'I don't know' he replied. He does not know what he feels but he is sure he feels like protecting her. Also to the fact that she's carrying his bairn.

Beausna sighed.

'Do you still love me?' She asked
Brynjar looked at her with the icy coldness of his eyes.

'I don't know' he replied, more of a whisper to himself.

'very well, before I let you go.... can you spare your time and drink with me?'