chapter 23

Iona feels helpless that she cannot even think of a way to escape.  Her surroundings are enclosed ajar as her only source of light is now fading away. She paced back and fourth to come up with a simple idea but it seems that the tides are not in her favor,  she does not even know if where she is or who might have captured her. Suddenly, a shuffling and a soft thud was heard, the heavy door slowly opened to reveal Astrid with a flicker of torch clasped by her hand.

'Lady Astrid!' She surprisedly said.

'Hurry! Before they catch us' Astrid hushly said as she grabbed Iona's arm.

'But how did ye get ir? ' Iona asked.

'A long story,  come we must get to the boat before someone sees us'

Iona followed through a narrow and dark path as she wondered how Astrid went inside unnoticed, considering that there's no guard to patrol. She sighted a small boat just beside the raft they are in and is concealed by the raft's shadow,  it's light illuminated by the moon. They hurriedly went into the boat as a man was waiting for them as he started to pedal.
Iona released a deep sigh,  grateful that her confinement is over.

'Well, are you not going to say anything? A little thank you will do' Astrid said,  breaking the silence.

'Ohh eym sorry, ay owe ye me life' iona replied gratefully.

'Of course,  anything for my sister in law' Astrid replied with a sinister smile.

'How did ye find mei? Who is behind this?? ' iona finally asked.

Astrid sighed..

'I was relaxing in a tavern after my days of travel when some careless crook blatantly brag his services to the most powerful man in the land. Of course i went to see his face,  believe me i shouldn't have done that. But what surprised me the most is that i do not know him nor saw his face in my father's services. I do not have anything more to do so i have decided to challenge his claim.. ' she paused 'i asked him who is that most powerful man that he speaks of..  His deep eyes looked at me with lust as his unpleasant face smiles like i would succumb to his slimy touch. But answered my question anyway, saying that it is Walfer..  The mighty walfer. I consider it trechorous as my father is the most powerful man in the land but kept it to myself for a while. His drunken state provided me some information that is very useful,  i also used my charm to know the most confidential ones. After hearing walfer's premonition and your whereabouts, i didn't hesitate to act.. I scattered him like a slimy pig and here i am helping you'

It is a long story but Iona felt very grateful.

'By the way your brother had heard this as i have already sent my messenger..  I also told him in advance that I saved you' she mischievously said.

'Where is he?' Asked Iona.

'You will soon find out'

'My lord, I don't understand.. Why are you doing this to me? ' walfer pleadingly said as he kneeled.
Lord Harlf continued to senselessly beat him as Walfer continued to sputter great amounts of blood.

'You! And your Ambitions! I should have known!' Lord harflr said with a gritted teeth.

A while ago,  Walfer is enjoying himself in his pleasure house when Lord harlflr's men began to rummage the house. At first, Walfer was devastated of the noise that caused an interruption to his pleasured moments. But when he saw Lord Harlflr's stoic face, he knew that there is something wrong. Two of Lord Harlflr's men began to drag him in all his glory and senselessly beat him in front of the people at the plaza.

'I don't understand my lord' walfer replied.

'Tell me?  Where is she? '

'I don't know what your saying! '