Chapter Three: Confusion

Charles' PoV:

Charles corrects y/n: No y/n... You drive for Mercedes now - You drove for Red Bull two or three seasons ago... Remember?

She seems super confused again. You continue nonetheless.

Charles: But yeah, the debris flew towards your car, and it somehow got trapped in one of your wheels, and you crashed into the barrier, and the car shattered apart...

She just stares at you.

Charles slowly: Half of it was spread across the track, and the other half, with you inside of it, went up into flames in the barrier.

y/n confused: Are you sure about this?

Charles nods: Yeah, I rewatched the accident a million times-

You hear the muffled helicopter sounds as you tell her, you smell the smoke in the air and you're wrapped up in utter numbness again, just like when it happened.

She asks you to see the video - Reluctantly you agree. She doesn't believe that it's her in the car, so you find a more official clip, where the banner appears on the bottom of the screen, with her full name, and her racing number.

y/n sighs: I'm sorry - I don't remember any of it.

You run your hands over your face in frustration - Should you grab a Doctor? No... You still need a few minutes with her all alone. Just you and her.

You pull the ring off of her necklace and hand it to her; She stares at it.

y/n: Is that mine?

You swallow harshly, as you chuckle.

Charles: You're joking right?

y/n confused: No-? Uh, I don't think it's mine- I've never seen it before, but it's very pretty.

She looks at it for a couple of seconds, before returning it to you; Your heart has dropped into your stomach again.

Nervous laughter escapes; She glances at you.

Charles carefully: So... Uhm... What do you remember?

She shrugs.

y/n: My life I guess? I don't know what you're constantly talking about, but I remember my life...

Charles shocked: Uhm...

You breathe in very slowly; She's unknowingly breaking your heart right now.

Charles forcibly smiles: Okay, tell me about it then...

y/n shrugs: I don't know... I race in Formula One... I go out with my friends-

Charles interrupts: Which friends...?

y/n: Uhm... Esteban... Mick... Ava... Johanna...

Charles worried: Oh... Okay...

Esteban and her aren't close anymore, because of his wife, who didn't like y/n for whatever reason, so they stopped talking to appease her wishes. Mick doesn't race in F1 anymore... At least not properly... Ava moved away a year ago, and they kind of lost contact, since y/n was so busy with racing, the wedding preparations and her life really... And Johanna - Yeah, Johanna just stopped relating with her. So none of her "friends" are actually her friends anymore.

Spa... Gulia... The ring... Her "friends"... All of this is from like two or so years back - Before you started dating. You inhale sharply.

You let her finish her little speech about her life - Most of it is old news, although she gets some things right that are related to the present.

After twenty minutes you gather your courage to ask her the only important question you have.

Charles softly: You remember who I am though... Right?

She just stares at you for a moment, before nodding. A wave of relief floods over you - Thank God-

y/n: Yeah- I think so-

No. No. No - That's a terrible way to start her answer. A heavy weight settles down on your shoulders.

y/n: You're the guy who races for Ferrari- Charles? Right?

You get up, and rush into the bathroom: You throw up into the toilet. She doesn't remember. Your future wife to be, the love of your life, the woman that makes you the happiest man alive... She doesn't remember who you are.

To her you're not "Darling", "Lovey" or "Mon amour" anymore. You're "the guy who races for Ferrari".

You throw up a second time - Fuck. You must be in a nightmare right now, or something, but this? No. Her nurse rushes into the bathroom, pulling you up and asking what's wrong; She must have heard the sounds.

Agatha: Charles, Honey, Jesus-

She flushes the toilet, and props you up against the bathroom wall.

Charles: She's awake-

Agatha: What?

She uses her pager to buzz the other nurses.

Agatha: And why are you nauseous then? She's awake, that's all that matters-

Charles: She doesn't remember Us- She thinks it's two years ago- She remembers some, but not all-

You told Agatha about your relationship with her, and she heard parts of happy memories, when you told them to y/n.

Agatha softly: She has suffered under a massive concussion, she's in shock, her bodies processing everything, the trauma, the crash, the procedures, she's tired, I'm sure it will come back to her, and anyways she's-

She stops talking abruptly. You turn around - Y/n is standing at the bathroom door, in her little, light-blue hospital robe.

Agatha freaks out: And she's walking-!

The two of you immediately rush towards her.

Agatha: Honey, I'm so glad you're with us again, but nuh-uh, let's get you back to bed, you shouldn't even be able to walk right now-

y/n softly: I'm fine though-

She glances at you.

y/n: Are you okay? Did you get sick?

You just stare at her blankly, while nodding. Nurse Agatha guides her back into bed.

Agatha: He did - He's been very tired, so he's a little overwhelmed right now.

y/n nods: Oh... Uhm... I was wondering one thing-

Agatha: What is that Sweetie?

Agatha tucks her into bed, while you slowly slide downwards in your black leather chair. You still feel so sick - You've been waiting for five and a half days; Day and night, not leaving her side... And now she doesn't even seem to remember you.

y/n: Where is Max?