Chapter Thirty-Five: Weathering The Storm

y/n's PoV:

6:17

You twist and turn in bed, but you haven't been able to sleep since you woke up at five. It was a relentless effort to fall asleep again, but to no avail. After a couple more minutes, you decide to just get up - You have a long, steamy shower, and eventually head into the living room.

You do your best to be quiet, as Charles is still asleep. His soft breaths seem comforting somehow. From a safe distance, which you determined would be from behind the kitchen counter, you muster him for a moment. His head is tilted towards you, his hair messy, his mouth slightly open, but in an endearing way, not in a 'I'm about to snore' way.

The blanket only covers half of him, exposing his shirtless upper body and his gym shorts that he sleeps in. He seems so peaceful - Just perfect somehow - Where the fuck did that thought come from?

Objectively perfect maybe... He's supposedly good looking. He's a stranger though, so not really perfect. Ugh, who are you kidding?

He's good looking. Very handsome, at that too. Fuck.

It would be a lot easier to villainize this man if he weren't as... as... Ugh, you don't even know, but his puppy dog eyes and soft words guilt trip you hourly.

He shifts a little, before opening his eyes slowly. You nearly have a heart attack when you realise he's looking right back at you.

y/n whispers: Sorry, I hope I didn't wake you.

Charles shakes his softly.

Charles dryly: No, I keep waking up - What time is it?

y/n: Just before seven...

He closes his eyes again. You grab a glass and fill it up with some water, in an effort to make yourself feel less invasive and creepy. A couple seconds later, he sits up straight and has a sip out of a glass.

Charles sighs: How come you're up so early? Is everything okay?

His voice has a slightly concerned tone to it. You head to the main part of the living room, sitting down on the couch's accompanying armchair. While answering, you nod your head. He hands you a blanket that's slung over the side of the couch he just slept on. You thank him, before placing it over your legs.

y/n: I'm fine. I just can't sleep, that's all. What about you, why did you wake up so much?

He shrugs, while taking another sip of water.

y/n softly: Oh okay...

For some reason his unresponsiveness feels terrible. Meanwhile, that's all you've been giving him sometimes. You're doing your best to be nice right now, to give him the kindness he deserves. He's trying hard, so now that you feel less chaotic, you might as well try again.

Some light passes through the curtains; Charles gets up, moves them aside and sits back down again. The sun is half way up in the sky, directly shining at him and his deep green eyes now... They practically light up in direct sunlight. He exhales quietly. You watch his chest lift and sink with his breaths, before glancing away again.

It's kind of nice just sitting in silence this early in the day. You truly haven't felt this calm and composed in a while. In your mind you go back and forth about bringing it up, but eventually you just go for it.