Chapter Thirty-Three: Shared Trauma, Unequal Effort

Charles' PoV:

You nod happily - Okay so the spark you felt before was definitely there.

Charles smiles: Yeah, I'd love that.

A tiny smile appears on her lips. She turns away, instinctually opening up a cupboard to put the groceries in. Your heart practically sinks - How did she know it belonged there? You watch her carefully as she goes on about putting the things exactly where they're supposed to go. How? Just how?

Charles: y/n?

She doesn't turn around.

y/n: Hmm?

Charles: How'd you know?

y/n chuckles: Know what?

She glances over her shoulder. When she does, you point at the groceries in the cupboard.

Y/n's eyebrows become tense for a moment. She shrugs softly, with utter confusion written all over her face.

Charles: So you just knew?

y/n confused: I uhm... I don't know-

Charles chuckles: It's fine- I mean-

Deep ridges from between her eyebrows, as she tries to figure it out. Her breathing becomes heavier.

y/n quietly: I genuinely don't know- It-

For some reason she seems more frightened than confused right now - She steps away from the counter, practically terrified of what she just unknowingly did. Why isn't she more excited? Or at least happy? You step towards her, but she holds up her hand, silently informing you that she doesn't want you near her right now.

You swallow harshly, before returning to your previous spot. If you would've remembered something, you would be ecstatic, meanwhile she's standing there, completely frozen, panicking silently.

Charles quietly: It's okay y/n- It's a good thing, I promise-

y/n's PoV:

A nagging pressure continues to build up in your chest. It genuinely hurts when you try to inhale - Your thoughts are violently rushing around, causing a massacre in your mind. How the actual fuck did you just know where to put the things?

You inhale slowly, as Charles steps towards you - If he touches you, you'll just burst. Your hand shoots into the air, ensuring he won't come any closer.

How could you have known? Your hectic breathing continues.

Regardless of just knowing, it's freaking you the fuck out. Not the remembering part, after all, the other memories that came back were all okay - But how your body is reacting to remembering is freaking you out.

It's doing all of this on its own; The sweaty palms, the irregular, high-pace heart beat, the intense pressure on your chest, the heat rushing through every bit of your body, and the utter anger in your mind.

Why anger? How should you know? You're angry though.

This is an anxiety attack, right?

Charles' eyes are practically burning a hole into the back of your head, waiting for something to happen. You need to get the fuck away from here right now. Room to breathe or something.

Charles' PoV:

She rushes by you, charging towards the hallway. Please don't leave again.

You exhale steadily when she doesn't head towards the front door. Instead she continues on down the hall, where she vanishes into your bedroom.

Charles whispers: Fuck y/n.

A wave of doubt washes over you - Will this even work? Fuck, what the actual hell are you thinking right now?

It will be fine. It has to be fine. It will work. It has to. She belongs with you.

...

..

.

Right?

The bathroom door slams shut with a loud bang, as you get catapulted out of your own insecurities and worries.

FUCK.

Charles calls: Y/n?

You make your way over to the bedroom, where you wait in front of the locked door. Quiet sobs echo through the wood and you close your eyes for a moment. How the fuck can you be useful right now?

Charles gently: My Love-

You stop for a moment, knowing that your choice in words could only make it worse for her right now.

Charles softly: Y/n... Look, it's okay. I can't even imagine how frustrating or scary this is - Remembering random things I mean - And it's okay to be frustrated... I think you need to just experience the emotions the best you can, with everything else in mind-

You sigh. No reaction.

Charles: I think you should come out and talk to me about it - I can help you. I'll give you a hug if you want - And uhm, we'll just talk, hmm?

The door opens slowly, and you're met with a flustered, red face. She pushes past you, walking away from you. Fuck, fuck, fuck.

You follow her out of the room. OH CMON. She steers towards the door, determined to leave again. Y/n clumsily tries to put on her sneakers. All you wanted was an evening with her, and now the fucking groceries made her want to leave again.

Charles frustrated: Please, y/n!

Her head spins around, because of the tone you used. It sounded a lot more stern and aggressive than you wanted it to. How are you supposed to be Prince Charming though, if she keeps being too afraid of experiencing her own emotions and having some progress.

All of this good stuff today seems wasted. Absolutely wasted. Two steps forward and three steps back. You're giving her 110% and you're practically receiving 45% of her effort in return.

You're stuck in an impossible situation. Of course she's the one who went through everything - You went through fucking trauma too though. You need your girl right now. You also need to feel love and support as you try to fucking process the pain and everything you went through.

y/n quietly: I'll be back in a bit.

Charles defeated: Where are you going?

Your heart cramps up as she just leaves quietly, not even looking back at you.

She's running to Max, isn't she?