Chapter Ten: Completely Undone

Charles' PoV:

She sighs, before lifting the spoon to her lips. She minimally parts them, before having a little. Food is food, and she needs to eat – She looks thin and delicate right now.

She keeps glancing towards the door – Shovelling more into her mouth with the thought of getting to see them. She wants everyone except you here. It's obvious and your heart aches in response. She's not doing it on purpose, but it's cutting and digging deep into your soul.

The only reasons you wanted them to stay outside first is to (1) see if she's up for company, (2) if she's feeling well enough and (3) to have a little alone time with your girl. It doesn't seem like she wants any alone time with you though.

You can't hug or kiss her, and although she rested her hand on yours for a couple of minutes yesterday, it seems like all that progress has vanished again. All you want is to fucking kiss your girl. Your fiancée. Your soon to be fucking wife.

But no, you can't. You can't scare her off. You can't overstep her boundaries. You can't push her. You wouldn't forgive yourself if you did and if you would disrespect her limits. She has to be the one initiating.

y/n: All done. Can you go get them now?

You glance at her, as she lifts up the empty yogurt cup to show you.

Charles: You ate that for your own sake, not for mine.

Without looking at her again, you get up, and head towards the door. They're all waiting in the hallway. Her parents rush in. Gulia gives your shoulder a soft squeeze as she passes by.

Charles: Mom, she doesn't remember you, so I'm not sure you should go see her.

Your Mother links her arm in yours, and leads you away from the room. She was your harbour over the last few days; The one you kept going back to. She listened, she consoled you and she did her best to care for you, even though she was in Monaco during all of this.

The two of you stroll down the hospital hallway in complete silence, before heading into the elevator and out the main entrance. There's a park around the corner, and you find a bench.

She runs her hand across your shoulder blades, as you're hunched over, resting your head in your hands. Tears start pouring down your face, and she just comforts you in your misery.

Charles sobs: She's the light of my life– And she barely recognises me–

Mom: I know, I know...

Charles: Nothing! She remembers nothing! But she remembers everyone else– I just– It's breaking me.

Mom softly: Shhhh... It will be okay, she'll remember. You have to stay strong for her.

Charles sobs: I don't know how to anymore. I hate the way she looks at me, like a fucking stranger.

Mom quietly: Language Cha... It's an impossible situation– Hmm?

Charles sighs: Impossible? No. It's unbelievable, I just want y/n back, not whoever that is in her room up there! Sometimes she's herself, and other times I can't recognise her!

She continues stroking up and down your back, as you come undone in front of her.