Chapter Seventeen: A House Is Not A Home

Charles' PoV:

She doesn't really respond – She merely smiles at you, before opening the car door and getting in. Pierre waits for you to do the same, and then he starts the engine.

At first you were concerned that the sounds of the car might trigger any panic or anxiety in her, but y/n didn't seem to mind the car that drove you to the airport, or the car that you're in now. It's good; You're glad.

To be honest you're starting to think you're a lot more scared than she is. Okay, you might not understand how terrifying it is to wake up without your memories, but you're scared that her wounds might get infected, that her throat might have permanent damage from the smoke inhalation, or that something might trigger her trauma to resurface.

All in all, you're scared, while she seems fine.

Pierre pulls into a different lane, while you stare at y/n in the rear view mirror. Gulia laughs at something she just said – Then she looks down at her lap.

Pierre quietly: How are you feeling man?

Charles whispers: I don't know – Happy she's okay... Tired... I don't know.

Pierre nods.

Charles quietly: I, uhm, don't think I'm enough.

Pierre confused: What do you mean?

Charles whispers: For her.

Pierre quietly: Stop.

Your best mate stares at you, while shaking his head. If you were enough, she'd remember you – Not everything but you. He focuses on the street.

Pierre: Don't be ridiculous.

Twenty-five minutes later

The car has grown quiet; The only thing you can hear is Neil Young's "Heart of Gold" playing on the radio. Gulia has leaned her head on y/n's shoulder, and they are holding hands – You'd do anything to be in her shoes right now. You want to be the one who's comforting her.

Pierre sighs: The traffic in this city won't ever get better.

You snap out of your depressing thoughts.

Charles chuckles: Probably not, no.

You see your apartment complex from afar; Pierre circles the block twice, before deciding that it's easier to just let you out here, instead of finding a parking spot. You've got plans to see him and his girlfriend, Camille, as well as Gulia in the next couple of days anyways, so you'll just call it a night for now.

y/n's PoV:

Charles grabs both suitcases at once, as well as his backpack, and your handbag – He refused to let you carry a single thing. While he heads towards the building, your feet become anchored into the ground. You remember moving to Monte Carlo after London, you genuinely do, but this place? No... It doesn't ring any bells.

He calls your name, and it takes you a couple of seconds to free yourself from your invisible shackles; One step, then another, and then another. Charles guides you into the elevator that takes you to the fourth floor.