Chapter Seven: Following First Clues

Charles' PoV:

She pulls out her phone from underneath the blanket. You stare at the light blue phone case you got her a couple of months ago. Hers had fallen apart, and you had just picked up a pretty one on your way home to give her - She refused to get a better one after that, since she liked the fact that you had just gotten her the case.

Charles: Yeah- Sure- I'll do anything.

y/n frustrated: The password! It's not the same as it used to be... Do you know what it is?

You didn't know what she'd ask for, but it only being about her password seemed a little anticlimactic.

Charles: Yeah. 16, 10, 97.

y/n: Hmm.

She types in the numbers, and her phone unlocks.

y/n: Except for the 16, I never had any of those for my password.

Charles nods: I know. It used to be 16, 17, 05, right? Your birthday, your racing number, your Mom's birthday.

y/n stunned: Uh, yeah. How do you know that?

You inhale slowly. Patience.

Charles: We're together y/n, I know everything about you.

She stares at her phone's home screen; She's unsure what to answer.

Charles softly: You broke your phone a year ago, and you changed the password when you got a new one. Now it's my birthday.

y/n: Hmm.

You watch her as she swipes back and forth on her home screen.

Charles: Are you looking for something in particular?

y/n shrugs: To be honest, I don't know. I was just thinking it might help me remember something...

You stare at her for a moment; Her shoulders drop down, telling you that she's starting to relax in your presence again. You like the fact that she's eager about reminding herself of everything.

Charles: You could start with Instagram... Or your Photos... Or your messages maybe? I'm sure a lot of your friends and family messaged you personally... I mean I received the bulk of it, and I can show you everyone's messages, but yeah- Whatever you prefer.

She nods, saying she might look at the messages later.

y/n confused: Where's Insta?

You lean towards her phone; With one quick swipe you find and click on the app.

It opens.

y/n: Wow-

You don't know what she's wow-ing at. You get up for a minute; You lean against the window again. You want to be patient, but how can you be, if your girl can't even remember the fact that she's engaged to you?

It's as if a big wave washed away two happy years - You glance over your shoulder; She's fidgeting around on her phone, honed in on whatever she's looking at - You desperately want to hug y/n. She's still your y/n after all... But not quite, so you can't.