Chapter Eleven: I Don't Know Why... But

Gulia's PoV:

Andrés leans over her, tightly hugging her, while Marbella pushes past him, to also reach her. Y/n is truly lucky with her parents. They ask her a dozen questions, and with most, she says Charles would be able to answer them, but that she doesn't know herself.

Eventually one of the Nurses shows up, and answers all the remaining questions. When you've given the three of them sufficient time, you join in.

Andrés sits on a chair to the side of the bed, while you and her Mom are positioned to either side of her, squeezing her in between the two of you, like a sandwich. Her head drops against her Mom's shoulder, and she gives your hand a gentle squeeze as she smiles.

The conversation circles back to Charles and her memory again, and it becomes apparent pretty quickly that it's a dead-end for her.

Gulia: But you forgot me too, right? You said so yesterday.

y/n quietly: Uh-huh.

Gulia: So you'll remember eventually!

Andrés: Didn't you meet Gulia through Charles though?

Y/n shrugs, unable to answer.

Gulia: Yeah, he introduced us. So that you don't remember?

y/n: No.

Marbella: It's alright honey...

Gulia: Damn that's trippy.

y/n sighs: You think?

Her face is frozen in a state of general discontent. Her parents continue asking her about the dimensions of her amnesia, trying to figure out what she knows and what she doesn't know.

Marbella: Speaking of Charles, where is he?

Gulia shrugs: I think he went somewhere with his Mom to give us some time alone.

Marbella: Oh how considerate of him, hmm y/n? Don't you think that was sweet?

She just glances at you, frustration deep-set in her eyes, not replying to her Mom. It's as if she's saying 'Can't these people just stop mentioning him?' – You can't even begin to imagine how either of them must feel.

She can't remember him. He can't remember a life without her.

Andrés: He always was quite a nice boy.

Forty-five minutes later

Nurse: Visitation hours are over now, I'll kindly have to ask you to leave now.

Andrés: Of course!

Her parents grab their things, and they give her a few hugs and kisses. Charles and his Mom walk into the room, as you also say your good-byes.

His eyes are red, and blood-shot; Has he been crying?

You give her another hug.

Gulia: I'll be back tomorrow...