Chapter Twenty Four: Pondering

y/n's PoV:

You walk around the back of the Casino, and get met by a large crowd of tourists. Charles instinctually pulls you towards him, either making space for the others, or keeping you safe... You don't even know which one of the two it's supposed to be, but when they've passed by, he lets go of your waist again, probably realising what he just did.

It's not like he over-stepped or anything, but you didn't expect it. You're still getting used to your 'fiancée's' touch...

He points out something in the distance and you nod in response - You struggled to fall asleep last night, since you were over analysing what you had said and done... You should've been kinder. Then the same thing happened under the shower this morning; You kept judging your harsh words... You couldn't get Charles' disappointed eyes out of your mind - You're not the only one struggling; He is too, and you've failed to consider that, so you vowed to try a little harder today - Maybe you just have to show a little more motivation and go along with what he's trying to do.

You also heard him on his call this morning; You stood in the hallway for two minutes, listening to him defend and protect you to whoever he was talking to, and of course you heard him express his displeasure regarding Max and you being out last night... You missed some parts of what he was saying, since he spoke more quietly, or he wasn't facing the door, but you got the main gist of it: He's doing everything he can for you - To keep you safe, to keep your image clean and to make sure you have enough time to work through your current problems.

Hearing his disappointment regarding Max was like the icing on the cake; You realised you have to be less of an asshole towards him, even though you're confused as hell. Confusion isn't an excuse for cruelty. He's some poor guy who's trying his best right now, and making it harder on him won't help either of you.

It's a shitty situation... But he's not half bad, and he cares for you, so you might as well try, right?

Yesterday was clearly too much for you, and you snapped accordingly - But today's a new day, and you'll simply try to be kinder and more considerate. That's the bare minimum; You owe him that much.

Charles: Y/n?

y/n: Hmm?

You lose your train of thought, as his big green eyes gaze down at you.

Charles: Do you want to go into that store?

He points at a little boutique to your left; You don't recognise it, but damn... Some of the things look super cute... Ahhh... And that's why he's asking... Since your "fiancée" knows that you'd think the things are cute... You nod.

He looks over his shoulder, as his arm hovers behind your body - He guides the two of you over the street to reach the boutique. Charles opens the door, and lets you in.

You look around - The person behind the counter smiles at you, and greets you politely. You're drawn to a section on one side of the store, and you start looking through some dresses, while Charles follows you bit by bit.

y/n chuckles: You can also wait outside - I don't want you to get bored Char...

He smiles when you call him by his preferred nickname again; You also realised that you weaponise his name against him sometimes, when you get overwhelmed, or when you're not too comfortable... Instead of calling him 'Char', like he asked you too, you simply call him 'Charles', knowing it pushes him away from you.

Charles shakes his head: No, I'm not bored ma chérie, I'm fine here with you.

You just nod once, while continuing to look through the colourful dresses.