Chapter Thirty-Six: Safe Haven

Charles PoV:

Your eyes slowly open, as a ray of light is warming up part of your face. It's a pleasant surprise to wake up to her cuddle up in your arms - sleeping peacefully, as if none of this ever happened. Your eyes instinctively glance at the clock on the wall: 10:58. It's a safe haven right now.

She shifts ever so slightly in your embrace, her nose scrunching a little. It's still bruised, so is the area around her eyes, and so is the back of her neck. You run your hands through her hair, covering the bruising on her nape; Frankly you don't want to see any sort of bruising on her.

Your head tilts back enough to free your airways for a big, deep breath. A couple minutes later, the sun ray migrates to her face, illuminating the purple and blue surrounding the middle of her face. It can't be as painless as she always says it is... It must be sore and tender at least. Maybe she's just trying to put on a tough guy act to have a sense of security... You wish you knew.

y/n quietly: Hey-

Her eyes meet yours half way. She seems comfortable where she is, not budging or pulling away at all.

Charles: Second hi of the day, hmm?

She chuckles, as she closes her eyes again, resting her head in the same position on your chest as before. Her hand glides up your stomach, and pauses just over your heart.

Charles softly: You know...

Her eyes open again.

Charles: We have a picture, lying with each other just like this... Your Mom took it when we went to see them.

y/n: Yeah?

Charles chuckles: Uh-huh... Do you want me to find it?

It takes her a moment to decide, but eventually she props herself up on your chest, saying she wants to see. You open your favourites, spotting it quite quickly, because you know when it was.

y/n: That's cute...

She sounds a little unsure, but you'll take it nonetheless.

Charles: That was a good trip... We went to the beach a bunch, your parents took us to dinner a few times, and we just went on a lot of walks together...

y/n contently: That sounds really nice... Do you have pictures of that?

Charles: Hang on-

You nod eagerly, and show her that section of your camera roll.