21 - Best Friend

Scream 5 Era - No Ghostface AU

CW for alcohol use!

3rd Person POV

Amber and Y/N had been best friends since kindergarten. They were inseparable as soon as they met. They joined a group with their other friends Mindy, Chad, Wes, Liv, and Tara in elementary, due to them all being babysitted by Tara's sister Sam.

Tara and Amber quickly became incredibly close too, forming a strong sisterly bond with one another. This was partially due to Tara slowly becoming estranged from Sam. As the group started high school, alcohol became a staple of their time spent together. They were always drunk or at least tipsy when hanging out external to school, even at study sessions.

Y/N had been in love with Tara for years, but could normally ignore his feelings because they never hung out outside of the group. But one day he got a text from his best friend.

Ambs<3: come over
You: why lol
Ambs<3: i wanna get drunk idiot
You: lmao sure
You: should i bring anything
Ambs<3: what drinks do you have
You: smirnoff iced, a couple half-empty bottles of rum and an unopened bottle of malibu
Ambs<3: bring it all
You: sure hahaha
You: can i stay the night i dont wanna have to get an uber home if im driving to urs
Ambs <3: you dont even have to ask bunnyboy
You: i love you
Ambs<3: love you more silly now get your ass over here!!!!!

Amber had been calling Y/N bunny since the day they first met, because Y/N had brought his bunny stuffie to the first day of kindergarten. It started as bunnygirl, but changed to bunnyboy when he came out as trans.

Amber had been a huge ally throughout his whole transition. He was ashamed to admit that he was worried about her reaction, but she immediately embraced him as a guy and was the first to adjust, as well as the first to correct others who hadn't adjusted. She even helped pay for his transition.

When he pulled up at Amber's house with a bag full of alcohol, he noticed Tara's car in the driveway. Fuck. What was she doing here? There was no way he was gonna be able to cope with seeing her in a smaller group setting.

He took a deep breath, bracing himself, before getting out of his car and walking to the door. He walked right in since he hadn't had to knock since he was 10 years old, and went straight to the kitchen. 

"Hey Ambs." he said, setting his stuff down.
"Hey bunnyboy!" she replied, flinging her arms around him and snuggling her head into his neck. He chuckled a little, returning the hug just as tight and rocking back and forth with her for a minute before she pulled away and examined his alcohol collection he had brought. Suddenly, Tara walked in from the bathroom.

"Oh hey Tar." he smiled, pouring a Smirnoff Iced.
"Hey Y/N!" the girl smiled, going for a hug. He returned it tight, which prompted Tara to relax in his arms for a moment.

She hadn't admitted it to anyone apart from Amber when the two got drunk together a few months ago, but she had a huge crush on Y/N and had for a while. She had asked Amber to invite him over so they could hang out in a smaller group setting. And now he was holding her tight in the kitchen, and he smelt of burnt marshmallow and fruity cologne, and his arms wrapped around her perfectly, and his hoodie was so soft she just knew she could live in it forever.

"Want something to drink?" he asked. "I brought your favourite-"
"Malibu?" she smiled.
"Yeah." 

Tara immediately poured herself a glass, adding the tiniest bit of coke into it. When she drank, she drank hard, and Y/N loved that about her.

"So what's new?" Y/N asked, drinking his Smirnoff.
"Nothing much." Amber replied, already drunk. "That guy from our homeroom is still begging me for a hookup."
"Joe? Seriously?"
"Yeah. Had to block him on Instagram because of it."
"What a piece of shit. If he tries anything else I'm gonna call up Chad and we'll kill him."
"Chad?" Tara laughed.
"He's got muscle! I couldn't do it on my own." replied Y/N with a chuckle as both girls laughed.
"You're so fucking adorable bunnyboy." Amber smiled, kissing his cheek.
"Just looking out for my Ambs."
"That is the cutest fucking thing I've ever heard." Tara said, taking a sip of her drink.
"Really?" Y/N blushed.
"Yeah." Tara replied, blushing too.

Amber looked at them both with a smile. "Wanna play Cards Against Humanity?"
"Fuck yeah!" Y/N replied, pouring himself some rum.
"The person who loses the round has to take a shot." Amber replied, taking out some vodka.
"You're on." said Tara, sitting at the table opposite Y/N. The two stared at each other for a second before blushing and looking away. Amber got out the deck and sat down, dealing out the cards before taking a black one.

"Blank. That's how I wanna die."

Y/N immediately put a card in the middle, and Tara put one down shortly after.

"Okay so this one says... Powerful thighs. That's how I wanna die." Amber read out, and the three of them laughed. "And the other... Overthrowing the government. That's how I wanna die."
"Real." Y/N chuckled.
"Uh... I gotta go with powerful thighs."
"YES!!!" Y/N cheered in celebration as Tara sighed in disappointment and took a shot, but a huge smile was plastered across her face as she observed the boy.

They continued playing for hours until they were all incredibly drunk and their instagram stories were full of videos they would regret the next day, like one Amber posted of Tara laughing hysterically, and another Tara posted of Y/N and Amber pretending to kiss each other before breaking out in hysterics.

Suddenly it was 2am and Amber was asleep in her room, while Tara lay in the spare bed, with Y/N on the floor of the spare room next to her.

"Hey Y/N?" Tara slurred, breaking the silence.
"Hm?"
"You awake?"
"Yeah."
"Cool."

They laid in silence for another few moments, before Tara spoke again.

"Can I confess something?"
"Sure, you can tell me anything, Tar."
"Good. You're so sweet. Uh-"
"Thanks." Y/N chuckled. "Go ahead."
"Well the alcohol is giving me a new found confidence, so, I'm just gonna go for it. Uh... I really like you Y/N. Like I think about you all the fucking time. I think about kissing you everytime I look at your face and I- I dream about you- about us. I don't know tell me if I'm being invasive or stupid but I-"
"Tara."
"Yeah."

They laid in silence for another few moments.

"I am literally in love with you." Y/N replied.
"Hold up, seriously?"
"Dead serious."
"Since when?"
"Since Sam was babysitting me here and we had to share a bed."
"Holy shit. Get your ass up here."

Y/N moved up to the bed and laid next to Tara who started kissing him immediately, pulling him on top of her. He kissed back, and it quickly became heated.

"Tar..." he mumbled between kisses.
"Hm?" she replied, not stopping.
"We're both drunk. I don't want to do anything without your full sober consent, love."
"You're right." she sighed, breaking the kiss. "But I guarantee I'll feel the same tomorrow."
"Then I look forward to tomorrow." he smiled, making Tara chuckle as she snuggled into his chest.
"Goodnight." she whispered, her arm wrapped around his front.
"Night beautiful." 

A/N -

A comment by @Jangofettjamz inspired me to write more about a Y/N and Amber friendship, so this came out of it! Hope you enjoyed it, I loved writing this so much. Y/N, Tara, and Amber are such a cute trio.