Chapter 1- St. Mungo's Emergency Department

Hermione knew she was good with kids, but this was beyond the pale. She had been called down to Emergency for a 6-month-old boy. The original diagnosis was splinching, as he had been apparated in with an injured adult, but the minute Hermione looked at him she knew better and immediately cast the counter-curse and began healing the open wound on the child's chest.

Someone had cast a sectumsempra on him. The Cutting curse.

What sort of person would do that to a baby? It couldn't have been an accident. The hit had been dead-on and with a target that small it had to have been deliberate.

He had been gasping, unable to cry, but the minute she got the bleeding stopped he had looked right at her and then calmed down.

Hermione took a few extra minutes with the baby, just rocking him as she coaxed him to take the peds blood replenishment potion from a bottle. She was both thankful for magic and hated it all at the same time at that moment. Thankful that she was able to heal the potentially fatal wound so quickly with it, but hated that it was misuse of magic that caused the wound in the first place.

The baby had bright blond hair that fuzzed like a halo around his head, and blue-grey eyes that looked right at her like he knew who she was. The round little face looked vaguely familiar. "There sunshine, everything will be alright now."

The baby looked up at her and suddenly she felt chubby baby hands prying at her mind-and then she saw herself as if across a room or corridor.

She was a child again, at Hogwarts, in her Gryffindor robes, hugging her books to her chest like she always had done. Somewhere nearby she heard Harry's voice, carrying in that warm, friendly way he always had;

"Hermione!"

She shook her head hard in the present, blinking at the baby in her arms.

Then another memory flashed before her minds eye.

She was in the owlery, with her Gryffindor scarf wrapped warmly around her neck. She could almost smell the hay and musk, and almost feel the cold of the air. "Hello, Granger."

Was that Malfoys voice?

She frowned for a split second in the memory, and then offered a tight smile, with a curt response of "Malfoy,"

Definitely Malfoy then.

The baby watched her closely, then she saw a memory of a familiar hallway, and a photograph of herself and Blaise at their medical graduation, wearing their doctor's robes for the first time, raising their fists in celebration, and saw Blaise's hand pointing to her face.

"...and that's my friend 'Mione, you'd like her."

What on earth was going on?

How could a baby have memories of her from Hogwarts?

Then another memory-Blaise holding the blond infant in front of his hall mirror-"Who's that in the mirror?" He asked, his face in a bright grin, "There's my Scorpy!" And the baby laughed, delighted at the game.

A knock on the door frame brought her back to the present as a nurse joined her, "...Dr. Granger, is everything all right in here?"

Hermione's head jerked up, and she offered a quick smile, "Everything is fine, thank you. We're just finishing up the bottle here. He'll need a bottle of formula after this though. If you can get that together, I'll hand him off to you to finish feeding him."

"Yes ma'am." The nurse nodded, "I'll just get the next bottle right quick and take over."

When the nurse returned Hermione handed the baby to her, "Get some rest, Sunshine," Hermione said softly, as the nurse adjusted the bundle of blond magic in her arms.