Chapter 3- Divorce Papers and Daydreams

The divorce papers and ultimatum were done and Draco's solicitor MacReynolds sent a junior associate to locate Astoria Malfoy and deliver the written ultimatum. Hermione took Scorpius back to his room and finished her rounds. There were only a handful of overnight patients and all were doing well. She clocked out and was on her way out when she suddenly decided to look in on Draco Malfoy. It was quite late and he was probably asleep but she walked past his room anyway.

The door was propped open and a light glowed from the bedside table, Draco sat up on the edge of the bed like he'd been out of bed and walking recently. The dim light showed that most of the bandages were gone, the bruises and cuts were healed. He sat hunched with his face in his hands, elbows propped on his knees. He was wearing what must have been a set of borrowed scrub pants and a hospital issue robe. A letter lay open on the bed beside him.

Hermione watched as he scrubbed at his face before sitting up with a sigh. He looked at his left hand, his wedding ring, for a long sad moment before pulling it off and laying it in the letter. Astoria must have sent back the divorce papers.

"Dr. Granger, you working a double today?" Hermione spun toward the nurse that had come up behind her,

"Oh, um, no I was just on my way home for the night." the older nurse looked at her with an eyebrow raised, and Hermione blushed slightly, caught out.

She heard Draco get up and walk to the door of his room and was just about to make a run for it, "well goo-" she started to say goodnight but Draco Malfoy interrupted her.

"Dr. Granger, how's Scorpius?" Hermione turned back to face Draco, he had just finished tying his robe and leaned against the door frame, hands in his pockets.

His face wasn't swollen or bruised anymore. The bruises around his eyes were almost completely faded and his nose was straight again. He had obviously had a shower, his hair was still visibly damp. She definitely had to agree with Lucille that he was rather handsome. Blaise had done a good job fixing him up. She could almost hear Blaise's voice in her head " like what you see Granger? Cause I could set you up ." Wait- that was Blaise's voice in her head. "Get out of my head you perv." She snapped at the much taller wizard as he walked up to where she and Draco were standing.

"Not my fault you suck at Occlumency." He shrugged.

Draco just stood watching his best friend and Hermione Granger argue like siblings. Blaise stood at least a foot taller than Hermione, the top of her head not quite reaching his shoulder. Hell, even Draco had to look UP to meet his friends eyes and he was half a head taller than Hermione. She had changed out of her medical robes and was wearing muggle clothes now, blue jeans and her well worn red sweater with a gold H had to be a Weasley knit. He wondered if she and Ronald had decided to get together or not. He knew Potter had married the Weasley girl- Ginny? That sounded right. He thought he remembered seeing Ron and Hermione together at Blaise and Luna's wedding. But that had been three or four years ago.

"What are you doing up here anyway? Home is the other direction. Everything ok with Scorpius?" Blaise asked and Draco was drawn back to the present moment, remembering that he had asked a similar question. Hermione blushed,

"Scorpius is fine. He was sleeping peacefully when I checked in on him a few minutes ago." Blaise just grinned at her,

"So you came up here to see my best mate Drake? You sure you don't want that date?" He was back in her head again. She glared back at him, her face turning a deeper shade of red.

"I'm going home. Good night Dr. Zabini." She said coldly, then turned slightly and nodded to Draco "good night Mr.Malfoy." and with that she turned on her heel and left the two men standing there.

"Is that a yes?" Blaise called after her, she didn't even look back as she flipped a rude gesture at him. Blaise burst out laughing and Draco just watched in astonishment. "What did you say to her?" He asked, he had never seen Hermione Granger act so... un-granger-like before.

Blaise grinned at him, "asked her if she wanted me to set you and her up." Draco stared at his best mate, he had only just signed the paperwork that Astoria had sent back, her flowing signature filling the space so that there had barely been any room for him to sign. The messenger had said the minute she read the first letter she had laughed and demanded the divorce papers, she signed them and sent him packing- but not before offering the young man a warm bed for the night if he wanted it.

Draco had cared for Astoria despite everything. It was both painful and a relief that she was so quick to throw the last year away. He looked back down the hall where the brightest witch of the age had just been.

"What do you think of our Dr. Granger, Mister Malfoy?" Blaise asked in his head, teasingly referring to his friend as Hermione had done all day. Draco was excellent at occlumency but had taken to leaving his mind open in case Scorpius reached out to him. "After everything at school she can't possibly be interested in me." Draco said aloud.

Blaise laughed again and shook his head. "Mate." Blaise pushed memories from that day into Draco's mind, Hermione holding Scorpius, her eyes filled with tears as she listened to Draco talk with MacReynolds. She held the baby just a little bit tighter, a little more protectively. Hermione staring at him, thinking he was handsome in the doorway just before Blaise interrupted. Hermione sitting with him and Scorpius talking when Blaise and McReynolds had come in. "Nanny indeed. Anyone else might have thought she was your wife." Blaise quipped in his head

"God, if she were my wife...." Draco's thoughts turned to what life would be like if Hermione Granger were his wife. The thoughts made his blood run hot in a way the thought of Astoria never had. He could drown in those thoughts if he let himself.

"I knew it! You've been crushing on her since 3rd year." Blaise nearly shouted with glee, yanking Draco out of his rapidly growing daydream of Hermione Granger in his kitchen with a cup of coffee, wearing his old quidditch jersey and not much else.

"Your old quidditch jersey- well that wouldn't leave much to the imagination now would it? Also I'm married thank you very much and don't want pictures of my favorite co-worker in nothing but an old quidditch robe in my head. God, she's practically my sister! Ugh." Blaise scrubbed at his face as if to erase the image from his mind.

"Will you shut up?! People are trying to sleep!" Draco hissed. His face flushed with embarrassment. He stepped back into his room, Blaise right behind him. "Also stay the fuck out of my head and you won't have to experience my daydreams. Besides, isn't she with Weasley?"

Blaise scoffed "daydreams? That one was on a solid road to wet dream mate. And please, she broke up with that git years ago."

"How do you know she doesn't have a boyfriend now?"

"Drake, I'm practically her best mate. Luna and Ginny fight over her but honestly, we all know she likes me best. If she had a boyfriend I would know. So the position is definitely available if you're interested in applying."

Draco sat down on the hospital bed and sighed.

"No Blaise. I literally just got a divorce. It's crazy. It takes at minimum 6 months for a muggle to get a divorce. And only 2 hours for a wizard if the magical contract is fulfilled. Our laws need help."

Blaise shrugged,

"Not saying they don't. But you can have all the time you want mate." Blaise moved to the doorway, "I'll let you get some sleep. See you in the morning Drake." he turned to leave, but stopped and knocked on the doorframe. "I'll warn you if anyone else comes asking about your Dr. Granger."

Draco groaned, "Zabini!" but the dark haired wizard was gone.

He laid back and took a deep breath, thankful his ribs now only pinched slightly when he breathed. Magic was wonderful.

Hermione was wonderful.

He sighed. No. he needed to take time to process all of this. He wasn't going to pursue another relationship for at least six months. Give his mind, heart and body time to recover.