Chapter 14- Only One Solution

Jean pulled into her driveway and sent the requested text message to her daughter before going inside. It was nearly 10, and Charles was tucked into bed reading when she made her way upstairs.

"Evening Love. How was dinner with 'Mione?" He asked as she came in and started shedding the trappings of the day. She kicked off her shoes and dropped a bracelet and necklace into her jewelry box.

"It was very nice, we went to the Zabini's for dinner. Blaise had made pasta." Charles let his book fall to his chest and looked over his reading glasses at his wife of almost thirty years, watching her move about the room as she prepared for bed. He waited for her to continue- he could tell by the preoccupied way she worked that there was more to say.

"And?"

"And I met Draco Malfoy, and the baby."

"Really?" The book was moved to the night stand and Charles pulled himself up in the bed a bit.

Jean pulled her nightgown on and sat down beside him on the bed.

"And?" He prompted again when she wasn't forthcoming with information.

"He's definitely grown up a lot."

Charles took the reading glasses off and looked at his wife, eyebrows raised.

"Do you remember him from her graduation?" Jean asked,

"Of course, tall fellow, looked like a poncy ghost... or maybe a vampire. Wait, could he actually be a vampire? 'Mione said those were real right?"

"Charles, Draco is not a vampire." Jean sighed

"What? He was so pale he put printer paper to shame!"

"Charles! This is serious!"

"I'm being serious. He seriously looked like a poncy ghost."

Jean shook her head. "I think he's in love with her. Or at least beginning to be."

Charles stopped joking instantly,

"Back to the beginning, Jeanie."

She sighed,

"The baby, Scorpius, is telepathic. Draco is divorced and his ex-wife was physically abusive- He warned me what the baby would show me. And he was underestimating the severity of it. She nearly killed them both. Scorpius would be dead if it weren't for Hermione." She looked at her husband, "why do people stay in those situations?"

Charles sat up and wrapped his arms around his wife, pulling her further into bed with him. "Because their abuser convinces them that they can't possibly escape, and if they do, they'll be worse off. Or that they deserve it, or that no one will believe them." He kissed her gently, holding her close. "But he's left her now right? You said they were divorced."

"Yes, and the ex is in jail now. Blaise said something about an unforgivable curse."

"And he's in love with Hermione?"

"He told me he's harbored feelings for her for a long time. He all but said that if he'd been raised differently he might have married her instead of his ex."

Charles sat and took that in for a long moment.

"What did you think of him?" Jean sighed,

"He was kind, respectful, solicitous, nothing like the 'poncy ghost' we met at her graduation. He took care of Scorpius, he was painfully honest with me. He was attentive and warm with Hermione and helped as much as he was able with the dinner and clean up." Jean turned her head to look up at her husband, "I don't know when it will happen- he said he wasn't ready to look for a wife again- but I have a feeling that when the time comes he'll ask Hermione to marry him."