Chapter 11- Mr. Granger

Hermione walked into the village Sunday afternoon and caught the bus to her parents' neighborhood. She had about a twenty minute bus ride ahead of her so she pulled the latest letter from Draco out and began reading over it again, she had already responded to it. He had gone to the library on Saturday and was more than halfway through the Count of Monte Cristo. He also told of how he had taken Scorpius to see his maternal grandparents and how that hadn't gone badly, but hadn't gone well either. He wasn't sure how far to trust Adorabella Greengrass. Her bus stop came and she put the letter away carefully and started the short walk to her parents. She knew it was the smart thing to do, putting distance between herself and the Malfoys. But she also couldn't get them out of her head. Scorpius' little toothless grin. The way Draco smiled and laughed with her now. She wondered if Voldemort hadn't come back, if Draco's family hadn't been so racist, would they have been friends in school? Would they have dated 6th or 7th year? She took a deep breath. Gotta think about something else.

She walked up the front garden and knocked on the door as she let herself in, "mum! Dad!" She called,

"in the kitchen 'Mione!" Her dad called.

She walked to the back of the house and found her parents talking over a cup of coffee, her mother putting the finishing touches on a pie. She looked most like her mother, but had her father's curly hair. He was stocky and graying, his full beard streaked almost white in places.

She kissed his cheek as she hugged him.

"How is my Sunshine? Anything interesting happen at work this week?"

Hermione set her bag on the counter next to him with half a sigh. "Well, I got called to Emergency for a six-month-old. Twice. Other than that, it's been fairly normal..."

Her mother glanced up, eyebrows raised, "Fairly normal? What's ' fairly normal' mean? Are we talking drama , or...?"

"Oh no, — It's just, I don't know if you remember Blaise's friend, Draco?" Hermione moved to the cabinet next to her mum and pulled a mug down for herself.

Charles Granger leaned back to look at his daughter with a quizzical brow. "Draco? That cotton swab you punched in the face when you were thirteen?"

"Dad!" Hermione cried.

Jean frowned, "Charles!"

"Sorry, sorry," he said, smirking into his coffee cup. "Cotton Swab redacted. But this is the same Draco Malfoy from School, right?"

"There's only one Draco Malfoy, dad." She sighed as she poured herself a cup of coffee.

Jean wiped her hands on her apron, "What about him? Did you see him? —He wasn't horrible to you again was he?"

"No, he was lovely. It's just that there's some family stuff he has going on and it's a headache and a half and I just feel for him."

Her mother hummed, "Was this related to the six-month-old emergency?"

"You know I can't answer that, mum." but the look on Hermione's face told Jean it was.

"I do hope the poor child is alright." Hermione wrapped an arm about her mothers waist in half a hug,

"I think that he'll be alright." she said.

Jean slipped the finished pie into the oven and the conversation moved on to more mundane things, the local cricket league her father bowled for, her mother's latest knitting project, Hermione's research and newest books she had found or some little thing she had learned about Draco and his son- nothing work related of course.