Chapter 5- The Gift of Freedom

Hermione's muggle watch went off twenty minutes before shift change as it usually did to give her time to roll out of bed and grab breakfast. She smacked at her wrist but the stupid thing was charmed to start shocking her if she didn't hit the buttons in the right order to make sure she was fully awake. She finally got it to stop buzzing right before it would start zapping.

She grouched her way quietly to the ensuite bathroom where she washed her face and took the half undone braid out of her hair, finger brushing the loose curls and charming the frizz away before pulling it half back and out of her face. She was pretty sure she had appropriate work clothes in her office. And a toothbrush. She tied her robe more closely about her and stepped back out into the room. Draco was standing by the crib clutching the side. "Draco?" She said softly "is everything ok?" He shook his head and slowly sank to the ground beside the crib. Hermione was by the crib in a heartbeat worried something had happened to Scorpius. He was sleeping peacefully, snoring slightly around his thumb. Draco on the other hand was sweating and breathing fast.

Hermione knelt beside him and her emergency training kicked in. She cast a quick triage charm. No new physical injuries, he hadn't been poisoned in his sleep, heart beat was fine but fast.

"Just. Panic Attack." He said trying to force himself to breathe more deeply. "Had a nightmare about Astoria coming for Scorpius."

"Do you want help grounding yourself?" Hermione looked in his eyes, pupils were dilated, and his face was pale.

"Breathe with me?"

"Do you want me to count out loud?" He nodded and took her hand gripping it firmly, his was visibly shaking. "All right" she said soothingly, placing a hand lightly on his shoulder "in for 7. three. four. Five. six. Seven." Draco closed his eyes, breathing with her, listening to her voice "Hold for 4, two. three. four. Out for ten. Two. Three. Four. Five. Six. Seven. Eight. Nine. ten. Again. In." Her hand slid about 6 inches down his back then back up his shoulder, a gentle soothing touch, like how she soothed Scorpius. She repeated the cycle again. He focused on his breathing and his senses-

Smell- hospital sterilizer and rosemary, Hermione smelled of rosemary and old books.

Touch- her hand warm on his back, the other gripped in his like it was the only thing keeping him together, he relaxed his hold on her hand slightly.

Taste- he really needed to brush his teeth.

Hearing- Hermione's soothing voice counting.

Sight- he opened his eyes, the room was still mostly dark, the barest hints of grey dawning in the window behind the crib cast dull shadows into the room. The dim light from the bathroom creating a halo effect behind Hermione. Hermione was an angel, Scorpius' Guardian angel.

"Thank you." He said. His hands weren't shaking as badly, and there was more color in his face. "Sorry about that."

"You don't have to apologize. I've been there plenty of times. The PTSD still gets me at the worst moments. Now, shift change will be in in-" she glanced at her watch, "10 minutes. I can find you some slippers and get you back to your room before MacReynolds delivery boy brings your stuff by if you like. Scorpius will be released to Luna after breakfast and Blaise said you'd be free tomorrow. He wants one more night for those ribs to heal and for your ex to vacate the manor."

Draco nodded, "I'm sure my mother will be 'round after breakfast too." He ran a hand through his hair. "God what is she going to think of all this?" He said mostly to himself.

"I don't know your mother well but I have a feeling that she'll be relieved that you and Scorpius are safe and will continue to be so. My mother would be if I had been in the same situation." Hermione paused and smiled, "Molly would be too."