Chapter 21- Research of a different sort

She was healing every one who came in as quickly as she could, but the wounded kept coming. Where the hell was Blaise? She needed his help. The next cot she came to stopped her in her tracks. She recognized the blonde woman sitting still as a statue beside the bed. Luna. Her face was empty- she still breathed but she was dead inside. Blaise lay unmoving, he could be asleep but for the lifeless eyes staring up at the clouded sky that filled the great hall. Hermione spun- the Weasleys crowded around not one but two bodies. Ginny and Fred both. Harry was nowhere to be seen. Then suddenly Lucius Malfoy was standing before her- "Dr. Granger." he snapped, "pull yourself together woman. You have work to do."

Then Narcissa was there holding Scorpius- the blood dripping painfully slow from his limp body. She was too late.

"Your son needed you." Narcissa held the baby out to her but she kept drifting away. "My son needed you." Hermione turned again and saw Draco as he had been at the hospital that day- broken, bloodied. She stumbled to her knees at his side.

"No! Drake! Please. " She felt the crushing pain of panic in her chest and she struggled to breathe. "Please" she gasped, his body was cold. Pulse gone. The puddle of blood surrounding him seeped into her clothes as she choked on the scream that tore itself from her throat.

"Hermione!" She lay there, frozen. The tight feeling of panic still making it hard to breathe. She gasped for air, heart pounding. The room was dark and the sharp scent of citrus was unfamiliar and made her struggle to remember where she was. The large warm hand on her shoulder was calming though.

"Hermione." She rolled over, Draco sat beside her, whole and alive. The nightmare. Just a nightmare. Lucius was dead and gone. Blaise, Ginny, and Scorpius were all fine. Draco was fine.

She finally realized Draco was beside her because she was in his bed, and her brain finished bringing reality back into focus.

"I dreamed you were dead. And Scorpius, and Blaise and– and–" she started sobbing, he pulled her into his arms.

"Hey, it's all right, love. It was just a nightmare." He said softly, his hands moving on her back calming her. But her mind took her back to when she had first met Scorpius. The way he had looked at her, the fear fading from his eyes as if he could die happy, safe in her arms.

"There was so much blood. If it hadn't been me- no one knew what was wrong- they kept trying to heal him and he just kept bleeding. If they hadn't called me when they did– he almost died in my arms."

Draco realized she was processing the day he'd brought Scorpius to the hospital- the day they started down the path that led them to where they were now. "Shhhh. It's alright. You saved him. He's fine." He stroked her back as she cried into his bare chest, the edge of his quilt clutched at her face. After a long time she calmed down.

"What time is it?" She asked through shuddering hiccups. Draco glanced at the wall clock,

"5:30"

She groaned.

"You can go back to sleep, love." He ran his hand over her hair. The braid was still intact, though some shorter strands had come loose during the night.

"Will you stay with me?" She sounded so vulnerable in that moment, he couldn't have denied her anything.

"Always."

She fell asleep with her head on his shoulder within a few minutes and he wasn't far behind her.

Draco woke up two hours later- not to a screaming woman this time, but to a giggling baby.

"Dadadadadadada!"

"Daddy's sleeping sunshine." Hermione stood beside the bed looking down at him and smiling, Scorpius in her arms still in his sleeper.