2

Deva

The next day, when our office hours came to an end and we were dispersing to our residence, I met Iniya in the parking lot, attempting to start her scooter but failing over and over again.

Harsh has already fled to his home and as his native is Chennai itself, he resides with his parents. Lucky him, meanwhile I had to abandon my enormous family and relatives to pursue my studies and gain a profitable job in this city. The pay I get is more than adequate to maintain my upper-middle-class life. In fact, it's enough to get ourselves indulged in a lavish lifestyle. Yet, I choose to lead a simple lifestyle just like my parents.

I sent most of my salaries to them but whenever I go to my home on any special days, there will be no difference made in our traditional house. The thing is, they either share the money I labor with our relatives and help solve their financial requisites or utilize the cash to feed the people who are in need.

"Hey, may I be of any help?" I pique, catching the interest of Iniya. "Yes please..." She nods and I try to start the scooter as well but to no avail.

"Where is your home? If you're okay, I can drop you.." I say genuinely to which she hesitates. "It's okay If you aren't comfortable, you can book a cab or use public transportation" Her eyes squints as she appears to think.

"Any options other than you dropping me would cost cash. So I will go with you.." Such a cheap stake. I smile at her honesty though.

"But what about my scooter?" She blinks her eyes at me. "Be in peace, I know a mechanic here, he will take care of it and will escort the vehicle back to your place. So let me know your address yeah?" She nods her head.

Subsequently, I contact the mechanic buddy here and inform him of the same. I disconnect the call after I adduce to him about the address the vehicle need to be delivered.

"Hop in," I mumble as I start my bike. She obliges and I ride according to her direction. "Look at that car, it's so freaking flashy. I love that" she speaks up as we drove by a fancy car.

"Why don't you buy one, then?" I casually ask her and her reply kind of caught me off-guard. "I can get access to one by marrying a wealthy guy. I'm too much of a stingy person to waste my money on something which I could easily possess If I choose the right man," well, that's one kind of a woman.

"That's a good idea," I utter, sarcastically. "Thank you," she says back in the same tone.

I laugh at that and she chuckles back. "So...do you want to date me? I sort of like you" sort of? I shake my head before responding.

"I'm not looking for any short-term relationships, Iniya. And judging by your words a few seconds back, I can confidently say that you wouldn't want to settle with someone of my status," she hums at my reply and starts to speak after a pause.

"Conventionally, I don't think anyone working in such a reputed company is financially deprived. Hence even If you have a bike now, I can comprehend that it's just your choice and not something that you can't strive to upgrade. So I might really consider settling with you. And who knows, I might even alter your mind and make you get a Benz in the future," I was impressed at her wittiness.

"You are strange" I mumble, watching my way ahead. "Hm, people have said that to me a lot. Anyways, do you want to date me? Let's just give it a shot?" Her home has arrived by the time she finishes her questioning.

After she hops down, I answer back to her. "Sorry to say this, but I'm not really intrigued by this dating thingy, so..." I trail off.

"Fascinating," She smiles.

"Well, I'm hurt by your rejection but thanks for dropping me without charging a fee" She kisses my cheeks, and goes into her home. I was startled by her behavior, however, I didn't get any goofy feelings though.

____________________