63

India's Supreme Court has upheld a law allowing Jallikattu, a controversial bull-taming festival popular in the southern state of Tamil Nadu

India's Supreme Court has upheld a law allowing Jallikattu, a controversial bull-taming festival popular in the southern state of Tamil Nadu. The practice - first banned by a court in 2006 - was legalised again by the state through an amendment in 2017.

Thamarai

This was the third day of the Pongal festival and is Maatu (cow) Pongal which is to celebrate and honor the cows for it has helped with ploughing in the field. On this day, the cows would be decorated and worshipped, and also the bull-taming traditional sport would be conducted...

And that is what has brought another misunderstanding between me and my Deva mama. I didn't permit him to be a part of it but he was rooted to his decision and didn't listen to me.

Even Athai who hasn't been speaking with Mama to date has talked to him, hoping he would back off from joining the bull-taming sport, however, he still was stubborn and was now standing amidst the bunch of males who were alertively waiting for the bull to be released into the crowd...

I was in the spectator portion along with our family members who were equally apprehensive as me. On the verge of crying, I prayed to god to keep my Deva mama safe.

The spectators cheer when the strong and terrific bull was released into the crowd. Whereas, I clutch onto my thaali (nuptial chain) and nervously watch as my mama attempts to hold onto the bull and control it.

But the bull looked very wrathful and brushed aside everyone who tried to touch it. Even my Deva mama was thrown away and I almost cried out as I watch him struggle to stand up.

"Thamara...what has gotten into him?" My athai clutches my hand and I didn't know how to console her as I was evenly worried and stressed!

"He will be alright athai," I squeeze her hands within mine soothingly and she closes her eyes and starts to pray.

The first bull runs away through the exit and was calmed down by its owner...

And within seconds, another bull was released into the crowd. Many men tried to tame it but none could subjugate it. One guy was severely injured due to the harsh attack of the bull and he was soon escorted away by the people for treatment while the bull was pacified by its respective owner.

Afterwards, came a strong bull which seemed to run with the intent to not get controlled by any men. But Deva mama tried to tame it and even after slipping again, he yet again strives to hang onto the bull.

My heartbeat escalates as he was the only one now hanging onto the bull, trying his utmost best to subdue the energy of the bull. Because of his consistency and strength, the bull gets exhausted after a while and the bull pauses on the spot...

People cheer at his victory while I sigh a breath of relief. The men lift mama in the air and howl excitedly and my husband was laughing heartily.

Later, he was rewarded with 50,000 rupees and a scooter. The men in our family were happy for him but the women were furious with him.