33

Deva

Once I reach my apartment, I enter my room and contact Iniya. I need to cut ties with her officially. "Hey...Deva, I'm really sorry for not calling you back. My mom is still in a critical condition-" I cut her off halfway, sickened by her lies.

"Is that why you slept with Harsh?" I ask sternly, feeling exasperated. She goes silent for a few seconds before responding. "It's not my mistake. He forced me!" I chuckle dryly.

"So you received the cash from him to forgive him..?" She again becomes mute, probably thinking about the ways to make herself seem innocent.

"Iniya, don't try to play the victim card and don't you dare attempt to deceive me again! I already am aware of who you are so just stop! We are over," I end the call, not having the sanity to listen to her voice again.

My stomach growled, asking for food but I suppressed the urge and fell back on the bed, feeling utterly empty. I can't fucking care about anything at this point!

The girl who I dated cheated on me...

The guy who believed to be my best buddy betrayed me...

And the worst of all is Thamara who misunderstood my pure love for her. Switching off my phone, I shut my eyes and decided to submerge myself in slumber to forget the tragedy of my life.

I toss and turn for a while as my migraine prevented me from falling asleep. After a long period of struggling, I eventually fell asleep due to the weariness.

I woke up at late noon and my stomach grumbled again, screaming at me to have food but I ignored it and went to the restroom.

Then again dumped my exhausted self on the bed and finally, the tears found their way out of my eyes. It's been so long since I'd last cried that I can't even remember how being sad feels.

But it's terrible now that I sob alone within these four wall without no one to hold me or console me.

I can't fathom how long I cried cause I again dozed off because of the mental breakdown. When I again unlock my eyes, it was midnight.

I went against my stomach's wish to have food and due to the lack of energy and fatigue, I again stumble into slumber...

"Deva! Deva!" My eyelids snapped open at the repeated calling. Getting my consciousness back, I run a hand down my face and drowsily sit on the bed.

"Deva!" It's my mom! Quickly as ever, I rush out of my room and open the apartment door and was beyond surprised at the presence of half of my family members standing there with a concerned look.

Am I dreaming!?

"Why do you have a phone? Do you know how many times we called you!?" My mother hits on my arm and I come to terms with the reality. This is definitely not my illusion!

"Is that why you came here...? To check on me?" I question guiltily. "Yes and also to purchase Kanchipuram saree and other jewels and accessories for Thamarai's marriage," she points her eyes back, and only then did I get a glimpse of Thamara who is trying so hard to hide behind her mother and become invisible to my eyes.

Cute

I couldn't help but be elevated by her meager existence.

"My phone must have died without battery ma...sorry," I mutter remorsefully. "And why do you look so tired? You haven't even changed your clothes yet!" One of my aunts queries worriedly while grabbing at my hands.

"Not only that...see his face, he appears to have cried," Raagini says and the whole of the ladies stares at me, perturbed.

"Come inside," my mom pulls my form inside and the ladies surround me, urging me to blurt out whatever that's bothering my mood. "Tell Deva," mom cups my cheeks, looking at me with utmost affection.

"Iniya cheated on me with Harsh mother," I say, feeling relief hug me the second I pour out those words.

After a prolonged moment of silence, all of them bombed me with questions and cursed Harsh and Iniya for betraying me.

"I knew it, that girl looked evil!"

"She is a demon,"

"We treated him as our own son! How could he do this to you,"

Those were only a few of their talks. While they were busy gossiping between themselves, my stomach roars in hunger...

Unsurprisingly, my aunts flew over to the kitchen and began preparing food for me. The pain I experienced yesterday in my chest is now replaced by a warm feeling.

"Tell mama to freshen up, the breakfast will be ready by then," Thamara's voice pierces my ear sweetly and I smile, a hearty one.

Lots of relations may form and break off, but the love of family is endless.

_________________________