44

Thamarai

"Deva mama," I murmur, as soon as he picks up the call. I felt numb from within, unable to even form tears to pour out my anguish.

"Thamara, are you okay?" He asks in a thoughtful tone, probably discerning my dry voice. "I'm not okay mama. Iniya came here this morning and said to all our family that you were the one who cheated on her. None believed her initially. But as she continued to degrade your character, we demanded for proof, and...she showed us pictures and videos where you were being hugged...and....kissed by some girl. She further said that Harsh ended the friendship with you because this unknown girl was his girlfriend," As I complete my words, my fingers begin to shiver on their own.

I wish I could sob but I couldn't. It's as If I have been hurt physically. I could sense the sting inside my chest, the overwhelming sensation of emotions churning my stomach...

Mama seizes up quite a few seconds to get back to me. "Thamara...that's not true. She must have done this to stop our marriage! Please don't fall into her trap! And that girl...she must be Lalitha! Thamara, she is like my little sister..." My heart calms down at his response. I let out a sharp breath, feeling relieved at the information.

So...what I've inferred was right! This is all her ugly plans to take revenge on Deva mama.

"Mama, even If you consider her a little sister, you should not permit her to hug and kiss you as she likes. Would you be okay with it If some guy friend of mine kissed me in the name of friendship? She might be your good friend or you might regard her as your sister, but personally, I would not want my husband to be touched by anyone other than me. Only I have that right mama," he replies swiftly. "I would not let her near me anymore, Thamara, I assure you," he states determinedly.

"Good...but we are still in trouble. Everyone in our family doubts you and are in discussion to halt our wedding," he groans on the other end.

"Why do one after other issues keep on popping up in our life?" He questions, frustratedly. "Sometimes, it's just fate. But most of the time, it is the outcome of our carelessness and impulsive life decisions mama," he releases an audible sigh before speaking up.

"You are right Thamara. I dragged Iniya into my peaceful life on my own accord and back then I wasn't aware that she would be the doom of me..." He trails off, sounding remorseful.

"It's okay mama...whatever had happened, has happened for a reason. Let it be Deva mama...try not to make rash decisions anymore," I utter gently.

"I won't I guess..." My brows furrow at his uncertain response. "Mama, I can't handle any more of the issues. So please..." I plead with him, not having the strength to bear another series of disputes.

"Romba kashta paduthitaen illa unna...manichiru ma," (I have made you go through so much, haven't I... forgive me) he says it so naively and I could feel the regret lingering in his voice.

"Mama...it's fine," I drag, not knowing what to say to relax him. "It's not Thamara and sorry beforehand for taking another rash decision...It's for our own good, trust me, okay?" Fear roses within my body at his assertion. What is he about to do!?

"Please mama- he chops off my sentence before I can complete it with his decisive tone. "Trust me, okay?" Though bothered, I nod and mutter an 'okay'.

"Alright, we will meet at dusk then. I'm leaving the office earlier," he says placidly. "Okay mama, see you soon," with that, we were about to disconnect when he spoke again.

"Tell our family to be patient. They are calling me all at once. I don't want to create more misunderstandings by conversing through the phone." I accept his request and we split up the call.