Chapter 7: Another Woman

Wren's POV:

I walk back up to the main floor and take a peek behind the door that leads to the kitchen and front door. I take a peek out the door. Dad's in the foyer, taking his shoes off. He sets his briefcase down for more ease. Then picks it back up a minute later to set foot into the kitchen and heat up his lunch. While he does that, he goes to his room to put his briefcase away.

I quickly get to the door and almost run out until I forget I took my shoes off. Why'd I take them off? I blubber to myself.

I grab the shoes and am about to put them on when I hear Dad's room door opening. He opens the door just as I hide in front of the couch in the living room. The back of the couch faces the wall and three windows. The front-facing the bathroom, and the kitchen beside it, leading to the stairs used to go to our rooms downstairs. Both mine. Evelyn, Charlotte's, and Jude's rooms are downstairs. Dad steps to the kitchen, gets his lunch out of the microwave, then starts to eat it.

What do I do now? Lunch is almost over and I haven't eaten yet. Plus I have a test next period!

I take out a stick that's somehow under the couch and throw it in the direction of his room. Once Dad hears the clank-clank-clanking of the stick he looks towards the sound and quietly makes his way to his room, checking around for the stick.

I get up from my hiding spot and quickly run outside, stopping behind a bush where Dad can't see me and put my shoes on, then I run to the school with the bracelet clenched tightly in my hands.

I'm back at school with just 15 minutes left of lunch. I think I can eat a little snack. I grab a granola bar from my bag, sit down on one of the benches and start eating. I guess I'll have to look at it later.

I'm in class now. The teacher has taken our phones. He has a strict no phones rule, especially during tests or exams. I look at the paper, a pencil in my hands.

"You have 50 minutes. You can start the quiz now." The teacher says before sitting back down.

I look at the first question and I know I'm not going to be able to pass this.

The class has ended now. That was a looooong and boring 50 minutes. He wouldn't even give us our phones back after we showed him proof that we did the whole test. So we had to sit in silence for the remainder of the class.

I walk to the office, telling the lady there I have to go home due to 'stomach problems'. I don't have any problems, I just need a break from school, and to look at this bracelet.

Dad should be back at work now that lunch ended 2 hours ago. But I see that his car is still there. Why?

I look in the window and don't see Dad anywhere in sight. Just as I'm about to look away, I see 2 hooded figures — a man and a woman — talking to each other

I step closer, pressing my face to the window. But not too close that they can see me.

My heart shatters at the sight of seeing Dad with another woman. I can't believe it, Dad found another woman already?! It hasn't even been a month since Mom died. I gasp.

I'm able to reach the handle of the window and grasp it to open it. But before I can fully open it, I hear my phone ringing.