Chapter 31: Good Talk

Asher's POV:

"What is happening? Why are you like this?"

"Like what, Dad?" Jude asks him.

"Why are you upside down on the couch?"

"Because I want to be."

"That makes no sense. Why would you do that intentionally?"

"Because I want to."

Dad sighs and leaves the living room to go to the kitchen. I put a pack of cookies away just when he entered.

"Did you take the pack of cookies again Asher?"

"You never said I couldn't." I shrug. "All you had said was wait. You never said wait until what? And I did. For two hours."

He shakes his head.

"Please, that was a bad move. I don't know why Evelyn would do that." Wren says as she and Charlotte walk into the kitchen.

"It's just a game, Wren, we get it," Charlotte replies.

"It was Monopoly, how did she even win? Nobody wins at Monopoly."

"Some people do." Charlotte points out.

"Yeah, some. Not all."

"How are you girls doing?" Dad butts into their conversation as he and I can both see that Charlotte is getting annoyed with Wren.

"Good, dad." They reply in unison.

"What are you girl's arguing about?"

"It's useless–" Charlotte starts.

"Monopoly."

"Again, useless."

"How is that useless?"

"It's a game. Games are useless. So, therefore, this argument is useless."

"You're useless!"

"Wren!"

"What? It's just a joke, dad. Charlotte knows I don't mean it." She shrugs.

"Either way, she's not useless," Dad indicates.

"I know, Dad. This is just how we act." Wren says, rolling her eyes.

"Why?"

"Cause we're comfortable with each other like that. Plus you've always said siblings are your truest friends."

"She's not wrong though. And you did say that."

"I did say that." Dad nods. "But I never meant it that way."

"Then how'd you mean it?"

"Siblings are someone you can count on to... I don't know... make your day better or something. Someone who is there for you every step of the way. Siblings are a miracle. Friends aren't forever, but siblings have been with you through thick and thin. And you should be glad you have not one, or two or three, but four of them."

"Uh, I only get along with three of them, but okay," Wren replies. "I mean, I get along with Jude fine, but... he and I fight, you know, a lot."

"Understatement of the year," I reply sarcastically.

Wren just glares at me, which makes me look away. "Look who's talking, you fight with Jude more than me."

"I do not!" I scoff.

"Yes, you do."

"Name one time." I cross my arms in defiance.

"Really? Ok, what about that one time you wanted to eat the cookies but found out Jude ate them all?

"I did not–"

"That was once!"

"There's more Asher. There was that time you accused Jude of taking your phone?"

"I said one time-"

"And when you couldn't find your shirt, you blamed him?"

"Stop, Wren, I said one time!"