Chapter 22: Forest Clue

Asher's POV:

I finish hitting the man and I stop. But I give a few more hits. Can't be too careful, now can we?

"Asher! When did you get here?" Dad says.

"A while ago." I say, raising the pan and dropping it to the floor.

"Why didn't you tell us you were coming with us?" Charlotte asks.

"Well..." I scratch the back of my head. "It's kind of complicated..."

"Cause he knew that somebody would tell." Wren says. "Charlotte, he said he had a trusted accomplice who told him everything. Maybe they were also spying on us and would've told him about Asher coming as well. So Asher said he wasn't going to go with us so that if Jeremy ever found out, we'd still be one step forward and he'd be behind."

"Or it's not complicated, I guess." I say. "How'd you know."

"Just a hunch." She laughs a little.

"Ok, well now what?" I give a raise of my eyebrows

"I don't know, maybe take him to the police?" Evelyn answers.

"Or we could tie him up and force him to talk. About his accomplice, why he hired someone to stalk us. Anything, really." Wren says.

"Ok, we can do that." I go to tie him up but dad stops me and does it himself.

"He's dangerous, I don't want you to get close to him." He says.

"He's unconscious, what can he do?" Jude says.

"He could be conscious soon, it's been a little time anyway."

"How'd you get here anyway? You don't have a car." Dad asks.

"I used yours since you used aunt Ava's car and the other's used Evelyn's car." I say.

I know she's not really my aunt but it's respectful in my house to call people aunt or uncle even if they're not a little related. But considering that Alex and Eloise are my cousins, we're technically related.

Wren explained to me how Alex and Eloise are my cousins, and that aunt Ava is my aunt.

We wait for a while and he still doesn't wake up. It's been days since we've seen him last. We know he hasn't escaped cause dad went out and put a tracker on him and there's multiple security cameras where he's being kept just in case he found the tracker and took it off of him.

We can never be too careful, now can we?

Once we got home, dad forced Wren to tell him everything that was going on. She said she didn't believe how mom died, she thinks somebody murdered her or is still out there somewhere cause mother had a stalker that could've killed her.

And I'm not gonna lie, I'm with her on this one. Mom has been healthy for years. There's no way she can just die suddenly from a heart attack. I mean it's possible but I did some research and it's rare. She could be one of the rare few, but I refuse to believe that.

Dad says that she has to stop this investigation unless she does it with him. She agreed to stop but she doesn't let things get away from her and if I know her, I know she's still investigating without him.

She's agreed to let me in on the mystery and Jude begged but she wouldn't let him cause he's still too young.

Plus he tells on us a lot, so Wren said she couldn't risk it. Just in case we found something huge and Jude tells or 'accidentally' spills. Yeah, I said, accidentally cause he always tells on purpose.