Chapter 11: Birth of the Rainbooms

On this fine Monday morning, classes at Canterlot High were continuing as they usually did. The hallways were buzzing with excitement about the "Musical Showcase" that was rumored to be in the works, alongside miscellaneous chatter regarding projects and classwork. Two girls were going about their day, walking to their next class together.

One of them had cream colored skin and electric blue hair with spiky bangs. She had teal headphones, a blue and white athletic jacket, a white skirt with a music note embroidered onto it, paired with purple and pink leggings and blue sneakers with turquoise stars on them. She also had purple sunglasses with thick black frames.

Her friend had long, black hair and gray skin. She was dressed a bit more formally, wearing a white blouse underneath a purple dress with a treble clef on her skirt. A pink bowtie was on her neck, and she wore thigh high white socks with black mary janes.

Their names are Vinyl Scratch and Octavia Melody. Both of them are very talented musicians, and great friends, despite their opposite tastes in music genres. Vinyl Scratch preferred loud dubstep music, performing under her stage name, DJ Pon-3. Octavia played the cello and was able to play haunting yet beautiful classical music. As they were walking together, they heard the sound of someone practicing music in a classroom. They glanced at each other for a moment before deciding to investigate. Upon looking inside the room the music was coming from, they saw something a bit startling.

Kevin Trident, alongside a few of his clones, were practicing instruments with the real Kevin on an electric guitar.

"That's Kevin, right? That hero boy everyone talks about?" Vinyl Scratch whispered.

"Yes, it's him." Octavia whispered back. "I wonder what he's up to."

Kevin, oblivious to the musicians spying on him, finished tuning his guitar and turned to his clones. "You ready, boys?"

"We're ready, Kevin!" The clones responded.

"Alright, let's hit it!" Kevin grinned. He and his band of clones began to rock out to a song, and Kevin began to sing! Vinyl and Octavia gasped - they had no idea Kevin was such a talented singer! Kevin played the song perfectly, his clones disappearing when they were finished. Kevin was smiling to himself as he packed up his guitar.

Rainbow Dash passed the two by, smiling at her friends, before backpedaling upon realizing they weren't paying any attention to her.

"Hey, Tavi, Vi, what's up?" She asked.

Vinyl Scratch turned around and fist bumped Rainbow Dash before motioning to the door. "You aren't gonna believe this, but that hero boy is really amazing at playing guitar!"

"And his voice is like a dream!" Octavia added.

"Hero boy? You mean Kevin?" Rainbow Dash butted the two aside and looked in the room. "Crap, here he comes!" The three darted away from the door, standing outside casually as if they were just talking when Kevin walked out. His guitar case was slung around his back, and he smiled at the girls when he noticed them.

"Hi, RD!" Kevin high fived her. "What's going on?"

"Nothing, really!" Rainbow Dash said. "Hey, meet my friends. This is Octavia Melody and Vinyl Scratch."

"Oh, I've seen you guys around!" Kevin smiled at them. "Name's Kevin Trident. Hey, didn't you do some of the music for the Fall Formal?"

"I did!" Vinyl grinned. "Though I was going by my stage name. DJ Pon-3. That sure was a crazy night, huh? Speaking of music, we overheard you playing guitar."

"Oh, really? Was I too loud?" Kevin asked, looking a bit worried that he was going to get a noise complaint from Vice Principal Luna.

"Nah, but why didn't you ever tell us you could play like that?! You were AMAZING!" Rainbow Dash threw up her arms, and Kevin simply shrugged.