Chapter 18: Broken News and Mended Hearts

One week had passed since the Battle of the Bands. Kevin and the Rainbooms were the most well known students in school, and the most popular after they saved everyone's lives for the second time!

The Dazzlings hadn't been seen since that night, including Melody. Kevin had a feeling that they wouldn't stay away forever, though - he still wanted to know why they tried to brainwash everyone. What did they want? What were they trying to achieve?

Sunset had turned herself around, and everyone at CHS finally saw her for who she truly was. People were willingly talking to her and giving her second chances after all she had done for them, and she couldn't be happier. Sunset had finally found a place where she belonged. Even after all she had been through, she still wondered, would her parents be proud of the girl she had become?

In the kingdom of Equestria, Princess Celestia stood in her throne room, reading the letter she had just received. She had a conflicted expression on her face as she poured over the page.

"Oh, Sunset..." Celestia whispered. She bowed her head in sorrow. "It's time you learned what happened..." Her mind made up, she began to walk out of her throne room. She was immediately met with Princess Luna, who looked at her with confusion.

"Sister, where are you going?" Luna asked.

"I need to go to Ponyville. I have a favor to ask of Princess Twilight and Spike." Celestia replied. "I would like them to deliver a letter to Sunset Shimmer."

"Sunset Shimmer? Who is it from?"

"Her parents," Celestia said. Luna gasped, and her eyes narrowed in anger.

"Those two?! What could they want with Sunset now?!" Luna cried. After hearing Sunset's story, Luna had been furious with Sunset's parents. They barely deserved to be called parents at all after what they did to Sunset Shimmer!

"Here," Celestia said, showing the letter to her sister. Luna skimmed through the letter, her eyes widening as she reached the end of it.

"I...I see." Luna said. "Go on, I will take care of things here."

"Thank you, Luna. I won't be gone long." Celestia gave Luna a sad smile before leaving their castle.

The trip to Ponyville was shorter than Celestia would have liked. While she knew she could no longer stall in giving Sunset the news, a sense of foreboding and regret washed over her as she walked down the well-trodden path. Perhaps she could have done things differently. Maybe she didn't have to banish Sunset to the human world. She should have noticed the way Sunset acted, how her parents treated her...but the past was the past. Celestia couldn't undo the damage that had already been done.

"Look! It's Princess Celestia!"

"I wonder why she's here?"

"Hello, Princess!"

As usual, Celestia was greeted with polite bows and hushed whispers of her arrival. She smiled warmly at the other ponies, masking the worry that she felt underneath. She headed right for the Castle of Friendship, Twilight Sparkle's new home. Admittedly, she was a bit concerned for the Princess of Friendship after hearing about her proposal to perform a duplication spell so part of her could always stay in the human world. It wasn't a bad idea - Celestia certainly didn't blame Twilight for getting attached to her friends in the human world, and it would be beneficial to have someone she trusted keeping an eye on things there, but there were going to be complications either way. It seemed Twilight was happy and sure of this decision, though, so Celestia was not going to sway her in the other direction.

Twilight and Spike were relaxing in their palace after their most recent adventure. Twilight had her nose in a book like always, while Spike lazily napped by the fireplace. Both of them jumped when the door opened, since they weren't expecting any visitors today. Twilight dropped her book and jumped to her feet when she realized Princess Celestia was here! Spike snorted before waking up, also standing to attention when he noticed Celestia.