Chapter 13: Enter the Dazzlings

Sunset led the tour around the school while Kevin hovered towards the back, keeping an eye on the new kids. Something just felt wrong about them.

Why are they here? Did they come here because they heard about what happened at the Fall Formal? Did Melody tell them about it? But that makes for more questions. I'm confused... Before Kevin dug himself into a spiraling hole of impossible scenarios, he tuned back into the tour that he was supposed to be giving.

"That's the science lab," Sunset explained, pointing to a classroom door. "And right there is the computer lab!" Sunset gasped as she noticed one of the posters for the musical showcase. "Ooh! There's a big musical showcase coming up this weekend! The whole school is rallying around it."

"A...musical showcase, you say?" Adagio and her friends looked at the poster with intrigue.

"Why don't you sign up? If you can sing and play instruments then we'd be happy to have you." Kevin said.

"I'm sure since you're new that Principal Celestia would let you sign up." Sunset added.

"We have been known to sing from time to time," Aria said.

"Uhh, helloooo, we sing all the time!" Sonata cut in. "People really, really love our voices." She said with a wink. Aria scoffed, and Adagio rolled her eyes.

"What we mean is, a musical showcase would be a great way to meet other students." Adagio said, smiling at Sunset and Kevin.

"Yeah! Yeah, I definitely agree with that!" Sonata giggled.

"Sure you do," Aria grumbled. "Hey!" Melody had nudged her side, giving her a look. Sonata stuck her tongue out with a cheeky grin while Aria just shook her head.

"You guys seem so close," Sunset said, truthfully. The group seemed like they wouldn't get along, but there wasn't any malice or anger with their teasing. It just looked like this was how they were showing affection.

"Hmph, I suppose we are." Adagio said. There was a beat of awkward silence, before Sunset's eyes fell on the choker around Adagio's neck.

"Hey, those are pretty. Kevin and I have necklaces like that too." Sunset smiled. She and Kevin showed the others their animal pendants.

"Ooh, they are like ours, just with animals!" Sonata giggled.

"Where'd you get them?" Melody asked.

"That's a secret," Kevin put a finger to his lips with a grin.

Sunset leaned over to get a closer look at Adagio's choker, only for her to quickly grab Sunset's wrist and push her back! Sunset looked up, surprised. Adagio's eyes widened, and she let go of Sunset's wrist, laughing nervously.

"Sorry! It's just that these pendants mean an awful lot to us. We'd just hate for something bad to happen to them."

"I understand. They must be really important." Kevin said. Adagio let out a small sigh, exchanging sad looks with Aria and Sonata. Melody closed his eyes, nodding.

"They really are," Adagio said softly. She straightened up and got a more serious look on her face. "Well, thank you for the tour, but we better go. We want to sign up for this showcase of yours. See you around."

Melody looked down at his pendant as he followed the other girls. He knew the story behind the necklaces, and it made him wonder if he really was worthy of standing by the other Dazzlings. Sure, they had a common goal, but these girls were magical. He was just...normal before he met them. Melody thought back to when the others gave him his pendant.