Chapter 17: Welcome to the Show

"Ya better believe I got tricks up my sleeve! And I captivate, 'cause I'm powerful and grea-ea-eat! Ya better believe I got tricks up my sleeve! See me dominate! 'Cause I'm powerful and grea-ea-eat!"

Kevin heaved a sigh. It had been well over two hours since he and the girls were trapped beneath the stage. They had heard everything up until then - the principals wondering where the Rainbooms were, realizing they weren't coming, and allowing Trixie to perform in their place. Now they could hear Trixie's band playing from above.

'Trixie and her band are playing when it's supposed to be us. We're running out of time. As soon as the Dazzlings get on stage, it's over. Spike, where are you?' Kevin thought, worried. Rainbow Dash had been exhausting herself, slamming her shoulder into the door over and over again. Applejack sighed, crossing her arms.

"Give it a rest, Rainbow Dash. You've been trying for hours, it's not gonna open." She said. Rainbow Dash sighed, rubbing her sore shoulder.

"Maybe it doesn't even matter that we're trapped down here." Twilight stood up. "It's hopeless. My counterspell wasn't going to work anyways." Twilight hugged herself, staring sadly at the floor. Kevin stared at her with worry. He wanted to say something, to reassure her that it would have been fine and everything would have worked out, but he doubted Twilight wanted to hear that right now.

"Of course it would've worked, Twilight!" Applejack cried. She then narrowed her eyes, glaring at Rainbow Dash. "Assuming a certain band member didn't try to hog the spotlight the whole time we were playin' it!"

"Hey!" Rainbow Dash cried. "If you wanna tell Twilight she's getting a little too caught up trying to be the new leader of this band, you don't have to be all cryptic about it!"

Rainbow Dash was immediately met with protests from the others. Twilight looked as if she was going to cry. Rarity got up into Rainbow Dash's face.

"She was talking about YOU, Rainbow Dash!" Rarity snapped. Twilight silently backed away as the conflict started to escalate.

"Me?!" Rainbow Dash held a hand to her chest, scoffing. "I'm just trying to make sure my band rocks as hard as it needs to!"

"OUR BAND!" Fluttershy, Rarity, Applejack, and Pinkie Pie all shouted.

"But why wasn't the spell working? I should have known what to do. How could I not know what to do? How could I have failed us like this...?" Twilight trailed off, agonizing over their situation. Sunset stood off to the side, unsure what she should do. She seemed torn between comforting Twilight and soothing the situation between the others.

"Guys, calm down," Kevin tried, but he was promptly ignored.

"It might have been your idea to start this band, but it doesn't make it yours!" Applejack shouted.

"Who's the one who writes all the songs?" Rainbow Dash defended. Fluttershy stepped out from behind Rarity, getting a small boost in courage.

"I write songs! You just never let us play any of them!"

"I had the most perfect outfits for us to wear tonight, and now all of that is going to waste!" Rarity added.

"Again with the costumes!" Applejack groaned. "Look, Rarity, no one cares about what we're wearin'!"

"I care!" Rarity shot back. "I am oh so sorry if I enjoy trying to make a creative contribution to this band!" She crossed her arms, turning her head away with a huff.

"HEY!" Pinkie Pie pushed her way in between the others. "Does anyone here remember the word 'fun'?! Because let me tell you, it's the exact OPPOSITE of being in the Rainbooms!"