Chapter 14: Return of the Princess

Kevin and the others waited outside the statue, doing their own little activities to keep themselves occupied. Rarity painted Fluttershy's nails, Applejack played cards with Pinkie, Sunset read through her magic journal, and Rainbow Dash tossed her soccer ball back and forth. Kevin leaned on the statue, scrolling through his phone.

Rainbow Dash sighed impatiently. "I'm starting to think she's not coming."

"We don't know that yet, Rainbow Dash." Kevin said, looking up from his phone. "The portal was closed, remember? Twilight might be sending us a message through Sunset's journal."

Rainbow Dash didn't look convinced. "You sure about that?"

"That, or she's trying to find a way to open the portal herself." Kevin shrugged.

"Knowing Twilight, she's probably looking for a way to re-open the portal," Sunset said.

"Hey, Kevin," Fluttershy said. "Have you tried to open the portal with your magic?"

Kevin nodded. "Yeah, actually. It was a little while after the Fall Formal. I walked up to the statue and tried to focus my magic to see if I could open the portal, but I just couldn't do it. I guess I need tons of dragon slayer energy to open it up." He contemplated trying again, but they were soon stopped when they saw a mysterious white light shining from the portal's entrance. Before they could react, a purple blur shot out of it and took Kevin along with it.

"Kevin!" The Rainbooms cried out, soon rushing to see what the hell just happened.

"Are you okay-" Sunset began, but was cut off as the group realized what was going on. The blur that was shot out of the portal was none other than their friend, Twilight Sparkle! She had landed into Kevin like a cannonball, sending the both of them to the ground. However, what was most shocking was that Twilight was on top of him in such a way that they were kissing on the lips! The girls' eyes widened and their jaws went slightly slack at the sight, unsure how to react before she were drawn to that sound of an artificial camera shutter noise. They turned to see Rarity, having taken a picture of the moment. They all made a face that seemed to ask her why she did that, making her smile to herself.

"You can never get enough cute couple pics, darlings," she explained, Pinkie looking over her shoulder to see the quality of the picture taken. She then asked Rarity to send the picture to her.

As the girls began to slowly clamber around the picture Rarity had taken, Twilight began to come to, and she immediately realized the situation she was in, what with the strange feeling on her lips and how close she was to Kevin. She face immediately turned a bright red and her eyes widened in shock. Kevin seemed to realize at the same time, the two sharing a look before Twilight shot up.

"Ah, Kevin! I'm sorry," she exclaimed, now essentially straddling Kevin's waist. Rarity took another stealthy picture, this time remembering to turn her sound off so as to not draw attention to herself.

"U-Uh..." Kevin began, still processing what just happened. He sat up slightly, propping his elbows up so he wasn't flat on his back. "Hey, Twilight," he said with an awkward chuckle attached to the end. He then realized that Twilight was still sitting on his lap, and that it probably wasn't making the situation any better.

As Kevin thought, some small giggles from Rainbow Dash could be heard from the crowd, followed by hushed commands from the other girls to be quiet.

"Ah, Twilight, could you..." Kevin began, gesturing to his lap and pulling the brim of his cap down to try and hide the blush on his face. Twilight's face somehow turned even more red when this was pointed out, and she practically leapt back from Kevin. She tried to land on her feet, but her mind was swirling with too many emotions and thoughts to focus on her balance, so she fell back down. During all of this, Spike, who had come out of the portal with her, had joined the girls off the side, reveling in how obvious the tension was between the two.