Chapter 16: The Battle of the Bands

Bright and early the next morning, Kevin and the girls headed over to practice their song at Applejack's place. They got all set up in her barn and began to play, but things were going less than well. Twilight was still unsure of her spell, so she was singing off key. The others were having trouble getting their instruments to sound good together. Since the girls weren't in harmony, they couldn't transform! All they got were the smallest hint of pony ears before they faded away. Twilight sighed, setting down her microphone. She stared at the ground, downcast.

"Uhh, well, that sounded better than the last five times you've played it?" Spike tried. Big Mac walked by the window, glancing at them.

"Nope," He said, which caused the group to sigh in defeat.

"Well, I think it's pretty obvious what's wrong with this counterspell!" Rainbow Dash said.

"My song really sucks?" Twilight mumbled, sarcastically. Applejack and Rarity glared at Rainbow Dash.

"You're turnin' what should be the chorus into a five minute guitar solo?" Applejack snapped, to which Rainbow Dash scoffed.

"I have to pick up the slack somehow! Are you guys even trying?!" Rainbow Dash shouted. Fluttershy piped up softly.

"I'm trying," She said.

"We're all trying, Dash." Kevin cut in. "We need to stop arguing, though, or we'll never figure this out. A bit more practice is all we need!"

"I-It's fine!" Twilight laughed nervously. "It'll all be fine! L-Let's take it from the top one more time!"

"Uh, no no no." Rarity said. She sat her instrument aside and clapped her hands together. "I think it's time we take a break to think about something else! Costumes!" Rarity dragged over a clothing rack. "Try on some of the wardrobe choices I've put together? I'm particularly fond of this one!" She put on a sparkly pink jacket with gold trims. "Or, we could go with something a bit more modern..."

Applejack groaned, hitting a hand to her face. "We're trying to save our school here! We don't have time to play dress up games!"

"Oh, how dare you!" Rarity cried. She was now wearing a yellow suit with a big helmet. "You can never have enough costumes!" Her voice was robotic because of the helmet.

"She just wants to make things fun!" Pinkie Pie said, backing Rarity up. "Last time I checked, a band should be about having a good time!"

"Sorry Rarity, Pinkie, but I agree with AJ," Kevin said. Applejack smirked triumphantly. "Saving our school is a lot more important right now."

"N-Not you too!" Rarity cried.

"Come on, Kevvy, I thought you got it!" Pinkie Pie added.

"Look, guys, I know you want us to relax and have fun, but who knows what the Dazzlings will do when they absorb enough power? They might take over our world since they couldn't take over Equestria!" Kevin cried, throwing his hands up for emphasis. Couldn't they see how important it was that they stopped the Dazzlings as soon as possible?!

"Guys, you don't have time for any of this!" Sunset cried. "You're supposed to check into the Battle of the Bands in fifteen minutes!"

That certainly quelled the argument, as everyone began to scramble to pack up their instruments. Twilight trembled with anxiety.

"B-But it's not ready! If we play our counterspell in the first round and it doesn't work, the sirens will know what we're up to and they'll make sure we don't get a chance to play it again!"

Twilight cried. Sunset stood beside her and put a comforting hand on her shoulder. The chaos in the barn suddenly stopped as the girls thought about what to do.